Illinois firearm season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some before and after pictures of a buck I took during the 1st season of the Illinois firearm season and my 1st attempt at a skull mount.

Here he is on 11-16
100_0310.jpg

100_0305.jpg

100_0308.jpg

Here he is on 11-23
PB230015.jpg

PB230014.jpg

I think I'll build a short pedestal to mount it on and set in front of the fireplace or maybe just off to the side.

Don B.

Congrats on a great buck. I like the pic of him hanging and you standing next to him.

That is a great buck you shot there... congratulations.

Congrats. on the buck. The European mount looks great. A fine addition to the fireplace. :yeah:

Great buck CONGRATS I love the pic of him hanging up makes him look like a 300 lb deer

love the Euro job on the scull to good job

RON G.

That's a good looking buck and a great job on the European mount. Congratulations!

Got any pointers on doing the mount? I am going to be attempting the same thing on a buck I got a week or so ago. I'm waiting on a European mounting kit to arrive from Cabelas.

Again, nice going all around!! :prayer:

Thanks to all. I think it turned out pretty fair. My wife thinks other wise. She is not sure she wants it in the house. Says it looks spooky. :lol:

Nic-58
If your kit instucts you to boil it,only simmer it and do it outdoors.(Smells bad) Try and keep the antler out of the solutions. The peroxide will burn your hands so be careful and wear rubber gloves. I found out that a 50 cal cleaning brush worked pretty good for all the hard to reach places i.e. nasal and brain cavities. There's some good info on the net. I looked it up on how to bleach skulls. Hope this helps.Got to go. Putting a deer ham on the smoker in a bit.

Don B.

Make sure you do this in a well vented place or outdoors. Doggzoe hit the nail on the head there. Also, Do not boil. Simmering will give you better results. Just have the skull as clean as possible when you start the process. It will save you time in the long run. If possible you may want to use an old pan to simmer it in. I am not for sure if you will want the pan back in the house. :prayer: Hope this helps you out.

Back