Couch Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember many years ago sleeping in late as I was tired from the previous days out deer hunting. I was eating some breakfast and a nice buck walk by outside the cabin. So I shot him from the kitchen table. Everyone else had gone out hunting and they all came back empty handed. They were totally surprised with that. I have known guys shooting deer from their front porch before too.

I‘m pretty sure I’ve told this story before so if I‘ve told it here, tough luck. The older I get the more I ramble. (and the more I repeat myself.)

Years ago, I was in my twenties and we had little kids at home… my wife woke me one fine winters morning to tell me there were Elk on her haystack. (I grew it and baled it, and the elk made claims against it every winter but she was an endurance racer and trainer and somehow they became “her” haystacks.) At any rate, DOW issued depredation tags for folks in our situation and she knew I had a pocketful. “Shoot them!” She directed. So I stumbled over to the rack and took down my 99 Savage. Quietly opened the window, slid the rifle out and resting on the sill I drew a bead on what I took to be the lead cow and dropped her. They began to mill around like they will when they’re caught in the open and not sure what or where the problem is. I shot and dropped 3 more and then stopped. “Why did you stop shooting?! There are more out there!” My lovely bride… Told her, “I have four on the ground and I haven’t even put on my pants. I have work to do.” Dad was still alive and he, my Uncle and my brother came over to help with the cows. We had a cooler then so three were gutted and hung and my brother and I butchered the youngest one that morning, tenderloins and eggs for breakfast. Don’t believe there’s anything finer. Those were some grand times.

My brother tells me that hunting out of the hot tub fogs the scope.

That reminded me of when I used a 8mm Saimese Mauser as a elk hunting gun for a couple of seasons. I had put it on a Bishop stock but otherwise it was stock. The other guys gable me a hard time. But they quit laughing when I had the only functioning rifle in the whole group. Two guys had nice custom 30-06 rifles with expensive scopes that fogged up on them and those were supposed to be nitrogen filled. No backup iron sights either. Then the other three guys rifles got frozen up tight in the rain/sleet/snow/ice conditions we had. They had brought their guns inside out of the cold too.

The old Saimese Mauser had a sliding cover over the action thus it still worked even with some ice frozen on it. I was the only one to get a elk those two years too. Plus the iron sights were good even if military.

That reminded me of when I used a 8mm Saimese Mauser as a elk hunting gun for a couple of seasons. I had put it on a Bishop stock but otherwise it was stock. The other guys gable me a hard time. But they quit laughing when I had the only functioning rifle in the whole group. Two guys had nice custom 30-06 rifles with expensive scopes that fogged up on them and those were supposed to be nitrogen filled. No backup iron sights either. Then the other three guys rifles got frozen up tight in the rain/sleet/snow/ice conditions we had. They had brought their guns inside out of the cold too.

The old Saimese Mauser had a sliding cover over the action thus it still worked even with some ice frozen on it. I was the only one to get a elk those two years too. Plus the iron sights were good even if military.
Cool story

The old Saimese Mauser had a sliding cover over the action thus it still worked even with some ice frozen on it. I was the only one to get an elk those two years too. Plus the iron sights were good even if military.
Reminds me of two of my uncles, one was a city man, moved to Denver and became an attorney. (Nobody’s perfect, right?) He hunted wi an 06 Springfield like this one. Had a fancy English walnut stock. IMG_0011.jpeg
His brother used a Krag rifle, stock except after a while he cut the forend to a standard carbine configuration. Still had the military sights and he piled up a lot of elk with his $20.00 rifle.

Well it's not a couch but close. I was sitting in my wife's recliner n reached down to get my cup of coffee. I looked up n outside as i took my sip. Dang there be one of the volunteers i have been awaiting on fer 2 days now. I grab my chair cushion n .45 n ease the Skoolie door open. I put the cushion on the hood fer my support. Aim n center scope on high shoulder n squeeze off. Bang n flop, my Josey Pie comes flying outside. I point out to wood line n tell her dead deer go get him. She is running as fast as a 13 year old pudgy puggle can go. I strap on my NOA .44 n walk down there. Josey Pie is making sure her freezer meat don't run off. She has this pretty Cowhorn Spike by the hind leg. It was funny n heart warming that baby was.

Couch and recliner hunting is just to easy when your rifle is handy, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Do it the hard way like I have on a few occasions. While still in bed watching the darkness disappear and with help of snow covered ground, objects start to materialize. Wow, I see a nice buck, holler at my sweet wife to load the ML, have our dog get my slippers, stumble half asleep to look out the big back window, yep, buck still there, so we sneak out front door, I peak around the shop just in time to see him run off as I hear a boom. Yep, she plugged him through the heart. Before I finished my first cup of coffee she has him field dressed. By now I have coveralls on and ready to help her hang it in the shop then retreat to my easy chair.
My big job was to wash heart, liver and knives. It was a tough hunt.

Latest posts

Back