Couch Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just tellin Mnt monkey yesterday that I haven’t seen a single deer on the property since early Aug. I haven’t been sitting in the fam rm in a while bc there just been nuthin to see.
Well this morn, I decided to go take a peek at just after daybreak 7:15 & low & behold, there’s a doe standing 30yds from the porch grazing. Then there’s more movement, 2 more does close by her, and another one with this yrs fawn on the north side of the fence.
I keep my hunting bino’s ( Steiner Predator Pro 12x ) next to the 3 glass doors but they were so close they weren’t needed even in very low light.
Then, here comes this 1.5yr old hat rack 6 walking thru the front yd, headed after those does. When he got close they took off. I can’t legally shoot does right now & since the season just started last Sat & this deer could be pretty nice in a few yrs, he got a pass.
Now if it was the end of the season, days left, & I still needed more meat in the freezer for the yr. I wouldn’t have hesitated to drop him.
I’m loling while sittin here drinkin my coffee, got my macaw attacking my fingers to get to my phone…. That I just saw more deer in that 1 min standing in the fam rm, than I saw sittin for 11 hrs up in a tree opening day - when I could legally have shot up to 2 does.
The 7 day weather forecast here is showing 2 cold days next Wed & Thur. Temps in low 50’s in early morn & daytime highs of mid 60’s. It’s been lows of mid 60’s & highs of mid 80’s here. So I’m not planning on deer hunting again until next Wed. But it looks like it’s time to start couch hunting again huh.

My son has been spending time bow hunting & seeing nothing, so Tuesday when he checked his game camera & still had no activity he decided to stay in the house. A little while later, he got a notification that the camera sent a picture. Now, he wishes that he had gone to sit in his stand....

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    770.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    701.7 KB · Views: 0
I have about 6 different bucks on my trail cam. Got a couple good videos of 2 bucks fighting and one chasing a doe. Muzzle loader season starts November 4, I need to get my heater in my blind. Already have a reclining office chair in there.

Attachments

• 90A46BA8-3899-4636-96D7-D08F79332391.jpeg
    90A46BA8-3899-4636-96D7-D08F79332391.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 0
My son has been spending time bow hunting & seeing nothing, so Tuesday when he checked his game camera & still had no activity he decided to stay in the house. A little while later, he got a notification that the camera sent a picture. Now, he wishes that he had gone to sit in his stand....
Ain't that how it goes too.

I have about 6 different bucks on my trail cam. Got a couple good videos of 2 bucks fighting and one chasing a doe. Muzzle loader season starts November 4, I need to get my heater in my blind. Already have a reclining office chair in there.
Nice. I actually miss hunting where I'm more concerned with freezing my boys off vs 85* & clouds of skeeters.

I used to be a diehard every day any weather hunter, but as I’ve gotten older, I get almost as much enjoyment out of watching deer via game camera than I do sitting in the woods. If I see something I think I might like to shoot, I’ll go sit in a stand, but if not, I’m content to stay home and chase my wife around the house. However, after 34 years of wedded bliss, she’s about as wary of my tactics as the deer and just as elusive. :rolleyes:

Some day I hope to hunt in a penthouse as well. 😆

I remember many years ago sleeping in late as I was tired from the previous days out deer hunting. I was eating some breakfast and a nice buck walk by outside the cabin. So I shot him from the kitchen table. Everyone else had gone out hunting and they all came back empty handed. They were totally surprised with that. I have known guys shooting deer from their front porch before too.

Most of my hunting was when I still lived in my native Georgia. It seemed deer were everywhere and I let many buck and doe, walk from being tired of field dressing them. The limit is 12 per and I took advantage of that great limit. I have many friends who don't hunt and would take orders from them and get them processed as requested. My freezer was always full as well.

Yes the couch hunter has struck again…..TWICE
I took an old man nap yesterday afternoon & I heard that I missed a nice buck up close to the house with a cpl does. So this morn at 4am I started making trips to the fam rm porch that looks out over a good sized field. The dang wind is killin me here. It’s blowin good out of the north. That’s terrible for me due to where I have to hunt. Do I kept checkin the field every 15 min or so. Then at 7:45 they were there by the corn pile. They’re a few very active scrapes near where I dumped the corn. The big 7 pt was fast walking quartering to me & when he crossed that “ 100yd away from any bait pile ) I put a Barnes 195g Expander thru a high shoulder quartering to. Dropped him in his tracks.
Then, I call Anonymouscowherd & ask him if he could come up here & pick up a deer for his freezer. His reply was “ see ya at noon “. A min or 2 later the 1.5yr old 4pt hit the 100yd barrier & he started to run & in a direction that screwed my Safe shooting zone bc of the neighbors houses. I put another Barnes thru both front legs & heart shot it. It instantly plowed 10yds & dropped 10yds from the first deer. That was a hellova shot!
Both of these deer are very healthy & are going to be good eating.
All the stars aligned for these two to get harvested this morn.
My new Athlon scope was fantastic. I’m so in love with this scope & this gun.
Putting the heart shot on a running deer was really cool to do. The Barnes 195g Expanders did a really good job, without “ overkill “. I just got two more boxes of them. Once I knurled them up to .403 they started shooting bullseyes & I have 1/2” drop from 50 to 100yds. I’m confident to be able to shoot the max distance out the door which is 160yds.
The corn pile is 125yds from the house, near my 400yd target.
Pic 1 is the entrance side. You can see the high shoulder shot.
Pic2 is the exit side. Then the head view. Pics 4 & 5 are the 1.5yr old 4pt. A/C’s deer.
Entrance side is first
What a morning huh!
I did celebrate when both deer were packed on ice with a nice Guiness Draught & my trusty bong. My body was screaming in pain. It was worth every bit of it.
We are turkey hunting tomorrow here.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0608.jpeg
    IMG_0608.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0607.jpeg