Impending doom for shooters of all kinds!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyhans

Reaction score
Anyone else worried about the global powder shortage?

Is it real, or is it another "manufactured" shortage that Vista/CCI is well known for?

I have no answers, but I'm pretty tired of the lack of choices/options one has anymore. Not just shooting related. Food, clothes, building materials.... Everything. Less choices more money...

Anyway, not trying to rant or start soapboxing.

What do you folks think of this?

(For those that haven't heard)
https://www.newsweek.com/ammo-prices-set-rise-substantially-vista-outdoor-firearms-1850528

Anyone else worried about the global powder shortage?

Is it real, or is it another "manufactured" shortage that Vista/CCI is well known for?

I have no answers, but I'm pretty tired of the lack of choices/options one has anymore. Not just shooting related. Food, clothes, building materials.... Everything. Less choices more money...

Anyway, not trying to rant or start soapboxing.

What do you folks think of this?

(For those that haven't heard)
https://www.newsweek.com/ammo-prices-set-rise-substantially-vista-outdoor-firearms-1850528
It didn’t sound like a “ rant “ to me & it is a good topic to discuss.

Notice how a bar of soap got smaller, weighs less, but costs more?

More and more people are getting self-defense firearms and shooting more. Not more hunters, but more for self-defense. Women are the largest increase in CPL's.

However, they are not building new facilities to make components unfortunately......

Shooting has become a stressful hobby for me.

I hate the availability roller coaster, the price gouging, and the ridiculous and flat out creepy rhetoric amongst the soldier cosplay crowd that fantasizes about societal collapse and taking up arms against your neighbor.

This is also coupled with crappy mass produced quality of everything that is available.

All I want to do is go hunting, shoot some clay pigeons, and take part in some of the events my rod & gun club puts on

Lately I have enjoyed focusing on other things.

I hate the availability roller coaster, the price gouging, and the ridiculous and flat out creepy rhetoric amongst the soldier cosplay crowd that fantasizes about societal collapse and taking up arms against your neighbor.

This is also coupled with crappy mass produced quality of everything that is available.

All I want to do is go hunting, shoot some clay pigeons, and take part in some of the events my rod & gun club puts on

Hmmm, I dont know anyone who fantasizes about this but I know plenty who are preparing for such an event

Hmmm, I dont know anyone who fantasizes about this but I know plenty who are preparing for such an event

All good man, everyone should be free to do the things they like as long as they don't harm others who are minding their own business. Also I meant what I said in the friendliest way possible.

I truly don't mean to crap on other peoples passions. I just sincerely believe that the the contemporary self defence philosophy AND all of the equipment that comes with it will be the DEATH of the 2A and the shooting hobby as we know it for all of us.

Believe me, I love a modern sporting carbine and military equipment and have since before the internet. Heck my daily driver is a retired military vehicle. But right now we are our own worst enemy.

One of the things I think is fulfilling is inviting people who don't understand shooting or hunting AT ALL to come see for them selves that there is a ton of positivity in this lifestyle.

Just last weekend I took my wife and 2 of her (vocally anti gun) girlfriends to the range so she could introduce them to firearms. These people have never seen a gun in real life other than on a police officer. They are liberal hippy types yet they are curious and open minded. After literally months of me talking about why there is so much more to guns than what they see on the news they agree to come out to the range.

My goal was to have them do some .22 plinking and bust some clay pigeons with a 20 gauge. If you don't think either of those things are a riot then you have no pulse.

We show up and there are two (non LEO) dudes wearing helmets, plate carriers, side arms in thigh holsters. Immediately everyone is uncomfortable. Then these guys proceed to shower everyone with casings as they rapid fire their compensated AK's from a bench at torso sized steel plates at 100 yards.

I did not win anyone over to our side that day, and felt like a fool for bringing them. They will tell everyone they know the type of gun owner who goes to my clubs range based on a sample size of 2 idiots. You tell me who is doing the constructive thing.

The industry puts in almost zero effort to win over people who don't understand guns, yet they fully support the crowd that thinks rapid firing at a 10"X20" steel plate is good shooting.

Imagine what would be available if there wasnt an insatiable apetite for 5.56 and 9mm. Fear mongering creates record profit.

That's unfortunately the way it is. Lots of people out there think that those who don't agree with them are the boogie man.

All good man, everyone should be free to do the things they like as long as they don't harm others who are minding their own business. Also I meant what I said in the friendliest way possible.

I truly don't mean to crap on other peoples passions. I just sincerely believe that the the contemporary self defence philosophy AND all of the equipment that comes with it will be the DEATH of the 2A and the shooting hobby as we know it for all of us.

Believe me, I love a modern sporting carbine and military equipment and have since before the internet. Heck my daily driver is a retired military vehicle. But right now we are our own worst enemy.

One of the things I think is fulfilling is inviting people who don't understand shooting or hunting AT ALL to come see for them selves that there is a ton of positivity in this lifestyle.

Just last weekend I took my wife and 2 of her (vocally anti gun) girlfriends to the range so she could introduce them to firearms. These people have never seen a gun in real life other than on a police officer. They are liberal hippy types yet they are curious and open minded. After literally months of me talking about why there is so much more to guns than what they see on the news they agree to come out to the range.

My goal was to have them do some .22 plinking and bust some clay pigeons with a 20 gauge. If you don't think either of those things are a riot then you have no pulse.

We show up and there are two (non LEO) dudes wearing helmets, plate carriers, side arms in thigh holsters. Immediately everyone is uncomfortable. Then these guys proceed to shower everyone with casings as they rapid fire their compensated AK's from a bench at torso sized steel plates at 100 yards.

I did not win anyone over to our side that day, and felt like a fool for bringing them. They will tell everyone they know the type of gun owner who goes to my clubs range based on a sample size of 2 idiots. You tell me who is doing the constructive thing.

The industry puts in almost zero effort to win over people who don't understand guns, yet they fully support the crowd that thinks rapid firing at a 10"X20" steel plate is good shooting.

Imagine what would be available if there wasnt an insatiable apetite for 5.56 and 9mm. Fear mongering creates record profit.
Interesting comments

I dont know your range so I cant comment on their rules but at my range we have pistol areas, black rifle areas (yes its called black rifle area), black powder areas, shotgun and a 1000 yard range. The shotgun and black powder are strictly enforced but you can pretty much shoot anything at the other ranges. Many locals have full auto that they play with. LEO's use the black rifle area when in training or qualifying. It is well known that there are range officers but everyone is expected to monitor their own actions and either report or confront anyone breaking the rules.

That being said, maybe you should have asked the guys with the AK's to switch sides so you wouldn't get hit with their brass or go to another area. And out of curiosity, how do you know they were not LEO's?

Another thing you could have done is educate your friends about the 2A. Let them know it has NOTHING to do with hunting or shooting, its ALL about self defense and defense of a tyrannical govt as written in the BoR and Constitution. Also let them know that black powder weapons were the only weapons when the 2A was written, so in-fact they are weapons of war. There are also over 20,000 firearm related laws on the books and every one of them are directed at the law abiding citizens and have done nothing to curb criminal activity.

I agree with taking newbies to the range but I strongly disagree with the way you handled the situation. You re-enforced their beliefs that black guns are bad, people who shoot them are bad and shooting torso sized targets at 100 yards is bad too. You have done more to hurt the 2A while those two guys where just practicing with their gear for whatever reasons, heck, they dont need a reason...

Interesting comments

I dont know your range so I cant comment on their rules but at my range we have pistol areas, black rifle areas (yes its called black rifle area), black powder areas, shotgun and a 1000 yard range. The shotgun and black powder are strictly enforced but you can pretty much shoot anything at the other ranges. Many locals have full auto that they play with. LEO's use the black rifle area when in training or qualifying. It is well known that there are range officers but everyone is expected to monitor their own actions and either report or confront anyone breaking the rules.

That being said, maybe you should have asked the guys with the AK's to switch sides so you wouldn't get hit with their brass or go to another area. And out of curiosity, how do you know they were not LEO's?

Another thing you could have done is educate your friends about the 2A. Let them know it has NOTHING to do with hunting or shooting, its ALL about self defense and defense of a tyrannical govt as written in the BoR and Constitution. Also let them know that black powder weapons were the only weapons when the 2A was written, so in-fact they are weapons of war. There are also over 20,000 firearm related laws on the books and every one of them are directed at the law abiding citizens and have done nothing to curb criminal activity.

I agree with taking newbies to the range but I strongly disagree with the way you handled the situation. You re-enforced their beliefs that black guns are bad, people who shoot them are bad and shooting torso sized targets at 100 yards is bad too. You have done more to hurt the 2A while those two guys where just practicing with their gear for whatever reasons, heck, they dont need a reason...

That’s a fair response.

Also I like the way your range has setup designated areas.

I suppose I am most frustrated with the fact that tactical shooting supplies have taken market share, and it can be hard to find hunting ammo during season. It’s just not the same world as it was when I started shooting, it was seemingly more catered to the sportsman. Maybe I’m what they call a Fudd these days.

I believe in, and practice preparedness. But I do not believe in marketing that stokes the flames of cultural divide

Last edited:
I actually found large rifle primers they other day. Right at $190 a 1000 shipped. Nope I didn’t buy them.
I will likely never need to buy any primers ever again. Hopefully you told someone who was in need.

People in the sales business love the conspiracy theories and theorists. It’s great for sales. This week someone posted “The guy at the gun shop told me to buy all the 5.56 I could . . .” Well there’s a shocker. Someone with something to sell telling you to buy all you can, because he spun a yarn that everyone wants to believe.

I know a couple of people that have done very well buying out hoarders who bought in panic mode, then realized later they need to make a truck payment, mortgage payment, groceries, etc.

Despite the musings of some, it’s not in the best interests of the companies to not produce or sell the products that they are in the market of producing. The gun and ammunition companies are not OPEC. Their business model is to produce and sell a lot of guns and ammo to the majority of gun owners. To do that, they know their pricing must be competitive, and products available.

WRT prices, to quote our drooling leader . . . “It’s Bidenomics, and it’s working”. Additionally, scrap brass prices are crazy - over $2/lb., higher in some areas. Scrap lead, over .50/lb. I remember, not so long ago, lead was .02-.05/lb. Many (non shooters!) thought it wasn’t worth taking to the scrap yard.

Many today weren’t around for the inflation of the Carter administration. They’re getting their economics lesson as we speak.

People in the sales business love the conspiracy theories and theorists. It’s great for sales. This week someone posted “The guy at the gun shop told me to buy all the 5.56 I could . . .” Well there’s a shocker. Someone with something to sell telling you to buy all you can, because he spun a yarn that everyone wants to believe.

I know a couple of people that have done very well buying out hoarders who bought in panic mode, then realized later they need to make a truck payment, mortgage payment, groceries, etc.

Despite the musings of some, it’s not in the best interests of the companies to not produce or sell the products that they are in the market of producing. The gun and ammunition companies are not OPEC. Their business model is to produce and sell a lot of guns and ammo to the majority of gun owners. To do that, they know their pricing must be competitive, and products available.

WRT prices, to quote our drooling leader . . . “It’s Bidenomics, and it’s working”. Additionally, scrap brass prices are crazy - over $2/lb., higher in some areas. Scrap lead, over .50/lb. I remember, not so long ago, lead was .02-.05/lb. Many (non shooters!) thought it wasn’t worth taking to the scrap yard.

Many today weren’t around for the inflation of the Carter administration. They’re getting their economics lesson as we speak.
The larger corporate manufacturers don't need civilian sales to profit when there's warmongering in every corner of the world, and a government corrupt/stupid enough to get involved with every "family feud".

Thanks for sharing your perspective on things. I enjoyed reading it regardless of what I did & did not agree with in it.
Really good post

Back