Investarms 58 cal load question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
My new (to me) Investarms 58 was built in 1977 or 1978. It is 15/16 across the flats. One of the members here suggested reduced loads for a barrel with thinner walls. The loads below come out of the Investarms Manual. Black powder only.

I intend to you Swiss ffg.

I really don't see any reason to load that much powder but does anyone have a reason to reduce these maximum loads???

.58 .560 Round Ball 110 grs. ------
.58 460 grs. Minie Ball 100 grs. -----

I've never run max powder charges in any of my sidehammer guns.
In my 50's, I think the max charge for round balls is 100, 105 grains of 2f.
The sweet spot for me seems to be right around 80 grains.
I think you could run something like 70 to 100 grains for good accuracy.

Absolutely no need to over power the 58.
The paper cartridges they used during the Civil War were only loaded with 60 grains of black powder.

My double .58 has a capacity max of 140
It’s very very accurate with only 75gr of goex and either a 280gr 8bhn prb or the Lee REAL 445 gr 9 Bhn
I’ve got 3 leaders express sights I can see over top of the ghost ring that’s set at 50 yards.

I have Swiss powder and will someday bump up the charge- yet Accurately placing a projectile of that size anywhere within 100yards is more than sufficient on most game.

I have talked with other members here and no reason to shoot more than 80 grains with ball or conical unless I get better accuracy. Then I will nor exceed InvestArms 110 grains for PRB and 100 for conical.

Thank you.

Unless I want Flat trajectory for 120-135 yards… I see no reason to crank up the powder.

At a well known shop- one of the employees said something that resonated well with me.

“ Most guys that don’t get good accuracy,Is Becouse they start off with to much powder”

I would start at 70 grains. You never know, could be very accurate. Plus Swiss has a bit more kick than Goex. I’d be shooting more grains if it was as accurate- just haven’t worked it up yet.
I certainly would prefer a flatter trajectory- yet that’s a afterthought when I hit bullseyes on occasion with a double at 80 yards.

70 grains it is. After I get an accurate load Ill run it over a chrony and get a trajectory for it. Round ball BC = .08????

Roundball BC ? Um… “Big Clobber?” Just kidding, I don’t know. I do know you can Chrono and then get digital graphs per each .5 grain increments….
Yet I will tell ya, probably 1100fps and best to simply shoot it. To many variables to account for. Holding rifle on bench in sandbags. Or standing with increased muzzle raising- after hammer drops. All will change impact points.

My 9.5lbs double with 29” brl and my 7 lbs T/c Big Boar with 26” brl impact different with same charge and Projectile.

Latest posts

Back