Iowa Newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zugunruhe

Reaction score
Greetings all! Trying to get started muzzleloading and this seems to be the place to be for information. I'm still in the market for my rifle, but it will be my Christmas present to myself :p

I have a little experience with muzzleloading, we bought my Dad a Cabela's Hawken rifle several years ago and had great times just plinking with round balls. Unfortunately, its currently in a state of disrepair (rust) and I may need some assistance resurrecting it.

Regards,
John

John, Welcome to the forum. :D There is a bunch of super guy's here and a wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your stay with all of us. :yeah:

Hello John and welcome! I am a newbie as well and am trying to suck as much" know how" out of these guys as I can. They are very helpful.

John ! Welcome to the forum. Hope you type better than I do. If I could type more than 5 words a minute I'd really be a blabbermouth :lol:

I gotta ask, what part of Iowa are you from? There's some great Iowa guys here.
GO HAWKS!!!

I live in Central Iowa but do most of my deer hunting where I grew up in Clayton County. My father in law just purchased some ground in Sac County along the Raccoon River which I look forward to hunting in the future.

BTW, I ordered a Winchester Apex this morning, Merry Christmas to me!

Zugunruhe said:
I live in Central Iowa but do most of my deer hunting where I grew up in Clayton County. My father in law just purchased some ground in Sac County along the Raccoon River which I look forward to hunting in the future.

BTW, I ordered a Winchester Apex this morning, Merry Christmas to me!

Hope the Winny shoots good for ya! Some day all the Iowa boys are gettin together to shoot I'll let all know the details when the time comes. :D

Welcome to the board John! I'm putting Spitpatch in charge if taking care of you! :D

Glad to have you!

Welcome John. If you ever pass through Conrad, stop by the cob pile. Until then, I look forward to learning what you learn.

Best regards - Cob.

I'm back, even though it is without the Apex :(

Had my Dad try and pick it up at the PDC Cabelas, they and every other Cabelas in the country are sold out and will not be getting any more in. So I went with my plan B and picked up a CVA Kodiak from Gander Mountain for $30 less than the Cabelas price. I can't wait to get out and shoot it, might even pick up a late muzzleloader tag and find a doe to shoot! Wish me luck :D

Got a chance to try out the Kodiak on Christmas day and I have to say with only one exception, I really like the gun. My exception would be the trigger- HEAVY! I'm not a rifle guy (yet) but this thing is stiff. But surprisingly, we were able to shoot it very accurately at 40 yds. off my deck and with a 20+ mph cross wind. It was cold out so I didn't shoot much but ran half a dozen or so rounds out of it. In a very unscientific fashion, I loaded up 90 gr. of 777 loose, a 295 gr. PB (came with the gun) and a Win 209 primer and proceded to kill a milk jug full of water with the first shot and finished off the remaining chunks with shots 2, 3 and 4. Then gave my f-i-l a load and he put it right in the jug too. We were both impressed with the open sights, nice and bright and fine enough to aim accurately. The gun is pleasant to shoot, doesn't kick nearly as much as my 870 with slugs. I finally put up a target and put the final shot right in the 10 ring just a little low and left of center. That was enough for me for first impressions so I went to cleaning to see how that went.

Let me think of some relevant points... okay, diassembly is a cinch. Remove two allen screws from the stock and you have two pieces, barrell/trigger group and stock. The stock is very light, not nearly as nice as the Apex, but comfortable to hold and shoot. Gun itself balances well despite the light and hollow stock. Breech plug removes easily with the supplied wrench or a 12mm socket. I had only Winchester 209 regular shotgun primers and they did leave a very pronounced "crud ring" with the 777. I had to swab between shots or loading a second shot on a dirty barrell was a chore, even with the PB's. The crud ring was easily removed though with one wet patch and a dry patch between shots. For final cleanup I used wet patches with windex and some of the CVA bore blaster gel. It took a total of 7 patches to come out clean, not bad in my book. One thing I forgot to mention, I need a range rod! While the included ramrod is serviceable (fiberglass or polymer), it is too short for my liking, a "T" handle would be nice also and easier on the palm of my hand.

My dad managed to find a Walmart that still had powder left and picked me up two pounds of Pyrodex RS for $11, not bad, but I could have gotten it for $7 here had I not hesitated. I've been searching around here and have written down some loads to test. Need to order some sabots and I think I'll try 250gr. XTP's and 300 gr. Gold Dots first. I can tell already this is going to be addictive!

Latest posts

Back