Is your gun most accurate with clean or fouled barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zero your rifle for the first shot out of a clean barrel, that's what you will have when you go hunting. You will not be shooting groups, you will be shooting animals.

ShawnT said:
Do you pop any primers prior to loading your First shot?

Never have. At the end of the season I use the Hoppes #9 to clean the bore, chase it with a alcohol/ammonia/vinegar concoction, and a final swab with Slip 2000 to sit until the fall or next time I shoot. I clean the BP with alcohol and blow it out with an air compressor so it's drier than a popcorn fart. I have two plugs and I'll switch them when I go to shoot/hunt in case any lubricant has drained down into it while sitting in the cabinet.

Prior to going to the range I'll swab the barrel with the Lock-Ease on a patch. I just got my scope back, mounted and bore sighted it, and I just set up my OCW powder loads ranging from 70gr to 82gr of BH209 by weight. All I need is a day at the range with no wind to sight it in and find my best load (and double check my first "clean shot" POI).

rat trapper said:
Zero your rifle for the first shot out of a clean barrel, that's what you will have when you go hunting. You will not be shooting groups, you will be shooting animals.

Questions.....
So you're saying with a completely clean rifle (out of the safe), shoot one shot. Then completely clean the entire rifle as you were putting it back in the safe and after doing so, shoot another first shot? Repeat this process until you reach your objective of a zeroed rifle?

Shooting a single shot, then swabbing out the barrel IMO isn't shooting from a clean barrel. It wouldn't be going through the entire process of shooting the rifle after having been lubed and stored.

ENCORE50A said:
So you're saying with a completely clean rifle (out of the safe), shoot one shot. Then completely clean the entire rifle as you were putting it back in the safe and after doing so, shoot another first shot? Repeat this process until you reach your objective of a zeroed rifle?

Shooting a single shot, then swabbing out the barrel IMO isn't shooting from a clean barrel. It wouldn't be going through the entire process of shooting the rifle after having been lubed and stored.

I'm sure he's not firng that gun right out of the safe. He most likely is firing three primers first.

It all goes back to what you want your ML to do.....
1) Take down a deer with your first shot/
or
2) Foul the barrel first and come back here four hours later to post a target with the first shot high-left and then 14 more shots at/ near the bullsye.

Some people think hunting deserves more 1st shot attention than shots 2-14. I swab after each shot, even using Blackhorn. I could care-less that the powder/gun combo can produce 17 (hypothetical) shots without swabbing. If I were to post hunting target pics here, I would show a paper target of only one shot (first shot). To some of us, that matters more than shots 2-14.

Plus, that's not to say I'm not interested in shot #2. I need to know where it's going, in case I need it inside the Huron National Forest in November and December. So some of us study shot #2, like some of us try to fix shot #1, to shoot like #2.

I am from a group that wants to fix shot #2 to mirror shot #1, not the other-way-around. Some of us cannot walk outside and shoot a fouling shot before heading to the hunting blind. Some of us do not desire to head to a range 30 miles away, fire 1-2 shots, then go back home 1-2 weeks ahead of Opening Day, keeping the bore dirty until then.

TripleSe7en said:
ENCORE50A said:

I'm sure he's not firng that gun right out of the safe. He most likely is firing three primers first.

It all goes back to what you want your ML to do.....
1) Take down a deer with your first shot/
or
2) Foul the barrel first and come back here four hours later to post a target with the first shot high-left and then 14 more shts at/ near the bullsye.

Some people think hunting deserves more 1st shot attention than shots 2-14. I swab after each shot, even using Blackhorn. I could care-less that the powder/gun combo can produce 17 (hypothetical) shots without swabbing.

You're from MI, where you have the choice of 2 buck tags and multiple doe tags. So the first buck you see chasing a doe is at 40yds, it doesn't get much easier than that, so your first shot sighted from a clean barrel should be ok. However, what would happen if the first buck was at 175 or 200yds and you zeroed for 100yds with a clean barrel only?

1) Never had a problem taking down a deer with the first shot, even though the rifle would shoot 14 shots through the same hole fouled.
2) It makes a difference if you're hunting the swamps and thickets where all your shots will be close range.
3) It makes a HUGE difference if you're hunting over large open agricultural fields, where a first shot could be at 200yds.
4) #2 and #3 above clearly indicate that each hunter must prepare differently than other hunters may have to prepare.

So, why do you question anybody else's method? We all shoot different guns, and hunt in different hunting situations.

The question the OP asked has no set answer. It's what works for you.

Muley Hunter said:
So, why do you question anybody else's method? We all shoot different guns, and hunt in different hunting situations.

Who's questioning everybody else's methods?

Different hunting situations by different hunters, demand different procedures.... your results may vary.

ENCORE50A said:
Muley Hunter said:

Who's questioning everybody else's methods?

Different hunting situations by different hunters, demand different procedures.... your results may vary.

Well, I didn't say everybody's. I said anybody's. I was referring to rat trapper. I do the same as he does, and it works fine for my style of hunting. I'm sure it does for him too. Just like your method works for you.

Please stay on topic and not get into personal comments. Any personal debates/arguments will be deleted.

Thanks

I don't see anybody going off topic, or arguing. Can't we give our opinions? We're grown men.

Muley Hunter said:
I don't see anybody going off topic, or arguing. Can't we give our opinions? We're grown men.

That don't always act like grown men and make sarcastic, personal remarks that detract from civil discussion. So to answer your question...Opinions on the topic are fine as long as they don't become one-on-one personal arguments.

The night before a hunt i....

Swab the oil from the bore and breach plug with a good degreaser. Replace plug with Teflon tape and a very very light amount of oil on the threads only.

Fire 3 primers

Dry swab the primer fouling one time

Visually verify the flash hole and channel are still clear.

This insures two things
1)Fire will reach the powder
2)There is little chance there is any oil in the bore or flash channel

The side effect is the first shot is much closer to any fouled bore shots using BH209. Ive never needed more than one shot on the same deer but on rare occasion i have filled my other tags within minutes.

In my hunting area scent control is very important so i choose to hunt with clean gun. Yes its more accurate paper shooting fouled barrel but still 1 moa accurate. Yes poi changes clean or fouled but easy to reset zero with clean or fouled barrel once spend some timr with rifle at range.

johndeere506 said:
Is your muzzleloader shooting tighter groups using a clean barrel everyshot, or with a fouled barrel?.....
Me, i don't know... What i do know is when the season ended in January, i fired the load i carried around for most of the season, and it hit where i wanted it to. This was from a squeaky clean barrel, and a squeaky clean breech plug; neither was fouled in any way. Rarely have i ever taken a second shot when hunting, though i do load my rifle immediately after shooting it at a critter. Never have i hunted with a fouled barrel, except after a miss. Normally after a shot is taken, the hunt is over, because it is necessary to concentrate, on moving the critter to where it can be loaded into the truck.

What i have done over the years, in case i miss the first shot from a squeaky clean barrel is shoot two shot groups when sighting my hunting rifle. This is a good tell.

P1010126.JPG

P1010120.JPG

302yard.jpg

In years past, i have sighted the hunting rifle, by shooting only one shot per day at the target. This is kinda tedious. Because of weather, chores, and other happenings, it can take a week to sight in the rifle with a cold clean barrel. This method does provide confidence, as does shooting two shot groups.

Personally, I never shoot a squeaky clean barrel when hunting. The barrel is always 'semi fouled' from October to January. In fairness I should also say I am not shooting real BP or any of the Pyro's.

ronlaughlin said:
johndeere506 said:
Is your muzzleloader shooting tighter groups using a clean barrel everyshot, or with a fouled barrel?.....
Me, i don't know... What i do know is when the season ended in January, i fired the load i carried around for most of the season, and it hit where i wanted it to. This was from a squeaky clean barrel, and a squeaky clean breech plug; neither was fouled in any way. Rarely have i ever taken a second shot when hunting, though i do load my rifle immediately after shooting it at a critter. Never have i hunted with a fouled barrel, except after a miss. Normally after a shot is taken, the hunt is over, because it is necessary to concentrate, on moving the critter to where it can be loaded into the truck.

What i have done over the years, in case i miss the first shot from a squeaky clean barrel is shoot two shot groups when sighting my hunting rifle. This is a good tell.

P1010126.JPG

P1010120.JPG

302yard.jpg

In years past, i have sighted the hunting rifle, by shooting only one shot per day at the target. This is kinda tedious. Because of weather, chores, and other happenings, it can take a week to sight in the rifle with a cold clean barrel. This method does provide confidence, as does shooting two shot groups.

Ron, those two shot groups look damn good to me!

tpcollins said:
ShawnT said:
Do you pop any primers prior to loading your First shot?

Never have. At the end of the season I use the Hoppes #9 to clean the bore, chase it with a alcohol/ammonia/vinegar concoction, and a final swab with Slip 2000 to sit until the fall or next time I shoot. I clean the BP with alcohol and blow it out with an air compressor so it's drier than a popcorn fart. I have two plugs and I'll switch them when I go to shoot/hunt in case any lubricant has drained down into it while sitting in the cabinet.

Prior to going to the range I'll swab the barrel with the Lock-Ease on a patch. I just got my scope back, mounted and bore sighted it, and I just set up my OCW powder loads ranging from 70gr to 82gr of BH209 by weight. All I need is a day at the range with no wind to sight it in and find my best load (and double check my first "clean shot" POI).
What Rifle are you shooting, Just curious if it is the TC or CVA if you are swapping BP's. Don't see any reason why your way would not work either. The MK-95s take a little time to get the BP out so the method I do works great for it and dries out the BP, even though it is not heavily oiled. I myself do like the primer fouling as I think for me that the 1st shot and second are closer together. On occasion I too have filled 2 tags in just a few minutes. I guess We all have different methods, Bottom line is what works for you and gives you the confidence in your rifle at the moment of truth. :wink: Or Maybe we just get stuck in our ways. :lol:

ShawnT said:
What Rifle are you shooting, Just curious if it is the TC or CVA if you are swapping BP's.

It's TC Triumph Bone Collector. I was originally interested in the plain all black Triumph but the BC has a 3/4" shorter stock which works well with the extra layers of clothing in the firearms seasons.

Actually, Ron installed a vent liner in my extra BP and that is the one I store in the rifle while in the gun cabinet in case any oil or lubricant runs down the bottom of the barrel. When I go to shoot or load up for hunting, I switch to the standard BP that Modern Powders drilled out a snitch larger than TC's spec - maybe .028" I think. Some day I'll shoot that BP that Ron made up for me. So my first shot is clean-clean, and usually after loading for hunting, I'll run a patch of Slip 2000 down the bore on top of the sabot to coat the inside of the bore for protection, that's my quirk.

tpcollins

Instead of alcohol to soak the breechplug, use vinegar. Put in a vitamin or pill bottle where the breechplug can do both - stand AND lay flat. Shake it a few times and let sit for a while. Come back and shake the bottle again. I usually let it soak for about 90 minutes - two hours. Then I empty the contents - shake the vinegar out of the plug and shoot CRC Brake-Clean thru it. Then use whatever needles, q-tips and pipe cleaners necessary to finish the job.

Latest posts

Back