It wasn't aging eyes...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzleloader48

Reaction score
Years ago Jonathan bought me a really nice CVA Optima .50 cal. with fiber optic sights. I could shoot really nice tight groups for the longest time. Then just a couple of years ago, I was sighting in for hunting season, and I was just all over the place at only 50 yards. I would have 2 tight, then the next 3 would be left, right, up, down, but nowhere near tight! Jon tried different loads, different bullets, you name it. We were both frustrated to beat all hell and I was about to just give up hunting! Jonathan convinced me that it wasn't me. My 1st shot was always on target so we all went hunting. Of course I missed my deer that year.
Here is what Jon found: No. 1: The optics in the mounts were loose enough to through off my shots and No. 2: I was seeing a ghost above the rear sight. When I'd line up the rear sight with the front, on the rear I would see an 1/8" ghost above it. So I wasn't always aiming the same way at distance. That Christmas Jon built me a new sidelock that I use till this day. Beautiful long gun!
Here's what he did for the rear sight position. 1st he went with metal sights front and rear. Then he started moving the rear sight up the barrel and told me, "dad when you don't see the ghost and the rear sight is perfectly clear let me know". When he got to the point where I could see the rear sight without the ghost(in other words, only one rear sight), I told him to stop. He then taped the sight on the barrel and cut the dovetail and installed the rear sight.
Now comes the scary part - sighting in! Took 3 shots at 50 yards...2 touching and one less than 1/4" from group!! This went on for many more shots with same result! Went to 100 yards and 3" or less groups. Needless to say Jon was relieved and I had my confidence back.
Conclusion: everyone's eyes are different. The store bought guns that come with preset rear sights may not always be correctly positioned for your eyes....and that damned holy ghost shows up...possibly frustrating many new comers to the muzzleloading sport. Also, always check the fiber optic sights for moving optics...myself, I like the steel sights!

On many of the old guns you will see multiple dovetail slots for the rear sight. They generally progress up the barrel towards the muzzle as the eyes get older. I have found that peep sights are the way to go for me.

Latest posts

Back