Japanese beetles.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I just was in the garden picking beans and found maybe 30 of the damned things, so I checked around the yard on other things the seem to enjoy chomping on and found them in the grapes, the asparagus, on our Tamarisk tree as well as in the beans. Last year I went thru two large jugs of Sevin concentrate trying to keep these things from destroying stuff. I wonder how many jugs this year it will take to keep them in check? Man, I hate these beetles.

We;re in N.E. Missouri & fight the commie bastards every summer. They reach the "We're Gonna Eat Everything" stage when the weather finally turns really hot. Starting at the top of trees/plants, if not stopped, they'll turn everything into "lace". Lots of traps & remedies available until the infestation arrives - then store shelves will be bare.

Traps mostly rely on the pheromone (sp?) sexual attractant and really draws them in. However, as I found out, when I loaded up the orchard with such traps, apparently I was drawing them in from really far away. Killed them by the tens of thousands summer before last. Talking 5 gallon buckets half full several times a week. Bad JuJu.

Several guys I know've "invented" Jap Beetle trap variations. Year before last, I suspended one of the bag traps over a 5 gallon bucket with large PVC pipe leading into soapy water with Raid sprayed on the inside of the pipe. It worked ok, but others had better luck with different designs. I think it best to burn the dead ones so as not to attract even more. Good Luck !!

I just was in the garden picking beans and found maybe 30 of the damned things, so I checked around the yard on other things the seem to enjoy chomping on and found them in the grapes, the asparagus, on our Tamarisk tree as well as in the beans. Last year I went thru two large jugs of Sevin concentrate trying to keep these things from destroying stuff. I wonder how many jugs this year it will take to keep them in check? Man, I hate these beetles.
Apple cider vinegar and water 50/50 in a spray bottle and spray em they'll die

Back