Bullets, bullets and more darned bullets.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I'm hoping I am like a lot of others. When I got into this inline stint a long time ago one of the first things I got accustomed to was buying bullets. Some didn't fly well. Some I guess I just didn't have any trust in. Some of course came along after reading great things about them. Some were going to give me more sped. Yada, yada, yada. So after about thirty years of this bullet conundrum, I found myself with tons of bullets that just sat there. If memory served me correctly I think there were 56 partial boxes of bullets. None a repeat. The other day a guy happened along that wanted to talk some fishing jigs and noticed that I had one of the muzzies in the shop for some routine check-up stuff. We got to talking about hunting with muzzies and just general shooting and come to find out that he., two of his kids, and a couple grandkids have a serious bug for black powder guns and shooting. After about a half hour of confab about hunting with the muzzies [he noticed all the racks on the wall that I've taken with muzzies] he asked if I had a favorite bullet and load. He mentioned that they had all had to settle on power belts and pellets because there were so few bullets to choose from and not much granular powder was available around deer season. I told him to stock up on powder and primers NOW instead of when its going to be needed. I told him Cheddite primers were available just about everywhere right now and that they were as good as any others and he should be buying plenty NOW. Then the bullets came up again. I told him to hang on a minute and I went in the house and grabbed that box full of weight, came back into the shop and handed it to him and said "Happy shooting".

So. I sold a few jigs. I made a guy very happy. And I created some room that I can probably fill with boxes or bags of something else muzzie related that I don't have any intentions of using again. I'll have to think of something.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the midst of putting a new smoker together when this fella and a couple kids came down the driveway. They were on the way home from the farm where they had shot for about two hours. The kids wanted to thank me for all the bullets that they got to shoot and all those they have yet to shoot. The guy wanted to thank me for all the time he had doing this with his grandkids, so their stop was a real good stop for me. As I often do when talking fishing with parents or grandparents, I told him how important it was to keep kids either in the woods or on the water so they don't resort to the streets for something to do.

In another thread here about what did you do relating to muzzleloading today, well, that's what I did the other day and yesterday I reaped the rewards. Feels pretty damned good too.

That smoker, by the way, was an early Father's Day gift from one of my daughters. Happy day everyone.

I have got to where I prefer bullets like Fury because my other bullets are like hen's teeth, hard to find. I can email or call Dennis at Fury and in short order have bullets like i want. I pretty well know that they will fly straight and get the job done!!
I use 40 cal 200gr XTPs for sighting in and at the range. For hunting, the good stuff gets used.

I'm pretty sure right now that the Fury 225 grain Star Tips in .40 will fly during the hunting season with the Patriot. At the range the 200 grain .40 XTPs go down range. The two bullets shoot almost perfectly identical with the same powder charge..

I'm pretty sure right now that the Fury 225 grain Star Tips in .40 will fly during the hunting season with the Patriot. At the range the 200 grain .40 XTPs go down range. The two bullets shoot almost perfectly identical with the same powder charge..
That's what I did/do. I sighted in with the 200gr XTPs then tweaked it with the Furys. For me, XTPs are for range, the good stuff for hunting.
I think you will be pleased with the Fury 40 225s for hunting.

I have another question. I know that most of the muzzleloaders here don’t like T/C Natural Lube. Why? I’ve used it for years with no complaints. What else is good to use with sabots? There is a need for some kind of lube otherwise loading would be next to impossible.

T/C Natural Lube? I have never used lube on my sabots? What bullets and sabots are you using? What gun?

I created some room that I can probably fill with boxes or bags of something else muzzie related that I don't have any intentions of using again. I'll have to think of something.

Mr. Tom, I’m willing to be that there are “way too many” folks here, who know the exact situation that you describe! 😂

Latest posts

Back