Just finished my Lyman's Great Plains .54cal Kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarGazer

Reaction score
Just finished it a few days ago. Can't wait until I can get off work early enough in the day to test fire it!

7cUil.jpg

StarGazer said:
Just finished it a few days ago. Can't wait until I can get off work early enough in the day to test fire it!

you guys are driving me nuts! I have to wait until next year to get my kit.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

beautiful work

were you happy with the kit?

That is a beautiful job you did there.. I bet that will be a great shooter and something you can hand down through the family. Nice going.

Thanks all! It is the "PermaBlue" cold bluing. The trick to making it even and also making it look "aged" is to use a rag slightly damped with CPL to apply the bluing. We do it all the time at the gun shop I work for. The kit was actually about 10 years old when I got it as part of a gun sale deal sweetener, but surprisingly all of the parts were still there.

That is a nice stock for a kit. Did you special order or just luck of the draw?

CLP is a type of gun oil. Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. It is usually easy to find at Walmart in the hunting section. Just dampen the rag and rub vigorously to "work" the bluing into the metal. As for the wood stock, I guess I got lucky... according to a cabinet maker friend of mine, it is a european mohogany. I used a wipe-on poly stain.

Any light gun oil will work. Sometimes I will actually apply the bluing with a dry rag, let it set for a few minutes, then blue it again using the oiled rag. It seems that every piece of metal blues a little differently.

StarGazer said:
... according to a cabinet maker friend of mine, it is a european mohogany. I used a wipe-on poly stain.

He is wrong! It is European Walnut and is pretty common over the pond. You can get it here but you usually have to order it. It is not as dark as American Walnut and can be problematic in getting it dark as some want it. Generally we use dye in the finish to darken it more.

It would be difficult to reduce the weight of a GPR by a significant amount.
You likely need to search for a different model.

Back