Just finished my Lyman's Great Plains .54cal Kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the correction on the stock wood ebiggs1! FWIW, I took it out for late doe hunting this morning, but the Venison gods were not smiling today... but at the end of the day, it fired without issue! 80gr. Pyrodex RS and a PRB seems to have decent accuracy.

I have two of these rifles. One is a cap lock and the other a flint lock. One is 50 cal and the other, the flint, is 54 cal. :)
I can tell you that these guns not only shoot well but they shoot very well indeed. Folks pay big bucks in the thousands range for a gun that doesn't shoot any better. :shock:
My favorite load in my 50 cal cap lock is 70 grs of Pyrodex P, Hornady .490 ball and .018 pillow ticking patch with olive oil lube. It doesn't seem to care which primer caps I use.

Sorry about the unpredictable "Venison gods". Better luck next time but be asured the GPR will do it's part. :D

ebiggs1 said:
It would be difficult to reduce the weight of a GPR by a significant amount.
You likely need to search for a different model.

I will be doing a Hawken style carbine, probably the Deerstalker.

I don't have one but I suspect you are still in the 7 1/2 to 8+ lbs area. If that is good for you than go for it!
It will be difficult to make it any lighter either.

Back