Knight Bighorn 50cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haden16 said:
Still at 4'' to 14'' from 80grains to 100grains with maxiballs in 385gr. I might switch powders, not sure what to do...

You might try Pyrodex. Its worth a shot. I would also recommend reaching out to IdahoRon... he has great success with all his knight plunger guns 1/28" and conicals. He shoots paper patch all lead and drives tacks. I think he shoots Pyrodex... maybe P?

Sabotloader is probably on to something as well. Something isn't right...the gun should shoot better than that with anything you stuff down it, imo.

Haden, you do not want to deform the bullet especially if you are using lead. With a clean barrel use a starter, then with the ram rod or range rod. Use smooth and steady pressure. Once the the bullet seats stop pushing. There should be no need to give it extra taps or really bear down on it. Mark your ram rod/range rod at the crown of the barrel. Use this mark to "witness" that you have fully seated the bullet. This will be important later as you shoot and the barrel becomes fouled. Some powders will develop a crud ring and the bullet will become hard to fully seat. The witness mark will show you this. swab the barrel as needed to keep the crud ring at bay and seating the bullet as consistent as possible. Enjoy your new rifle and good luck hunting.

Latest posts

Back