knight bolt gun owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
I would like to gather info on average length of sealing surface to sealing surface of bare primer breech plugs.

Step one:
New primer length?
Step two:
Overall length of breech with new primer installed
Step three:
Install plug in gun bolt up primer in gun close bolt then remove primer and breech now measure breech with crushed primer. Overall length?

Will have 3 deminsions.
Also post bolt setup type and gun model
Thanks

That's almost a loaded question, I have 8 or 9 Knights and they are all different in the area your talking about. That's why the SS shims inside the primer pocket works so great. With Win. primers they will run from .297 all the way out to .303 so this is another factor. I hope this helps in your venture of building a perfect plug.

Thats good info but trying to find a average length from primer pocket sealing shoulder to breech face sealing surface.
And since you have so many could you give a report of your plugs would help finding a average that work and if a disc conversion or mountaineer
Thanks

Rifle is a Disc Extreme with bare primer adapter.

New primer was 0.299" long.

Plug, and new primer were 1.750" long.

Plug, and 'crushed' primer are 1.743" long

Knight Ultra Lite 50 cal bare primer

New W209 primer .299

Loaded plug is 1.883

After cycled is 1.881

Why not just use the plastic disc and save yourself some trouble. I also have the bare primer breech plug and have never used it. The disc works just fine for me.

rat trapper said:
Why not just use the plastic disc and save yourself some trouble. I also have the bare primer breech plug and have never used it. The disc works just fine for me.

Get back to us after you HAVE tried a Lehigh bare primer setup with Blackhorn209. You will see fairly quickly why so many of us love them. There is another reason why Bestill is asking for this data. Its something ive been wanting to see happen for a little while now.

Been out to sea last few days, What are you looking for? I have a few Mountaineers and disc. Do you want 1 BP cycled through a few guns and measured? Several BP's cycled through 1 gun? Or just a bunch of individual measurements? Ill try to find time tomorrow, after a good sleep :wink:

Individual guns would be great.
Basically seal to seal length of disc bare and mountaineer bare primer

GM54-120 said:
rat trapper said:

Get back to us after you HAVE tried a Lehigh bare primer setup with Blackhorn209. You will see fairly quickly why so many of us love them. There is another reason why Bestill is asking for this data. Its something ive been wanting to see happen for a little while now.

I agree...This will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

rat trapper said:

You need to save yourself the trouble and dump the discs and use the bare primer plug.

W209 primer = 0.299

BP with primer = 1.893 (BP is 1.793)

BP with crushed primer = 1.888 (BP has a .005 shim installed)

Knight Ultra Lite. 2016 production.
I have not been able to get this rifle to the range yet for accuracy and blowback testing.

Two additional BP I purchased (#M900020) measure 1.793 and 1.792.

WTM45 said:
W209 primer = 0.299

BP with primer = 1.893 (BP is 1.793)

BP with crushed primer = 1.888 (BP has a .005 shim installed)

Knight Ultra Lite. 2016 production.
I have not been able to get this rifle to the range yet for accuracy and blowback testing.

Two additional BP I purchased (#M900020) measure 1.793 and 1.792.

Thanks last 2 measurements ?
Is that breech plug length without primer correct?

2000 master hunter original disc with a extreme bolt from another gun,plus knights bare primer adapter and breech plug
1-primer length .300
2-OAL of primer installed 1.752
3-OAL of primer crushed 1.750
4- Length of breech plug 1.645
Dont know what your up too,but I want in.Anything I can do to help let me know
thanks Jim

Knight disc extreme w Knight Bare 209 BP
W209 primer length .297
BP & Primer length 1.793
Cycled BP & Primer length 1.787
Knight BP length 1.643

Knight super disc w/ extreme bolt and Lehigh BP
W209 primer .297 (different primer)
BP & Primer length 1.783
Cycled BP & Primer length 1.778
Lehigh BP length 1.647

My digital caliper isn't the highest quality, but I measured a few bullets and it was either on or within .001, so its gotta be close.
And fwiw, I measured 5 W209 primers and they were all different. Not much, but different. .297 to .300. My understanding is this is normal.

What was weird to me, my "crushed" primers measured almost exactly what they did before cycling them. .0005 smaller. that makes no sense to me. :huh?: :huh?:
Seems like they should measure the same amount shorter that the OAL of primer and plug decreased. Am I missing something? Honestly, this is the first time I've ever measured primers - crushed or not. The W209's have shot clean in the few rifles I have, so I've never worried about it.

Looks like it is in the Breech plug lengths that is where the .005 difference is. That should make the primers the same.

ShawnT said:
Looks like it is in the Breech plug lengths that is where the .005 difference is. That should make the primers the same.

Seems to me that if I cycle a primer in and out, it should measure more different than .0005 smaller. Thats only half of .001
Both rifles when I cycled the primer it seemed like it was pretty tight as the bolt closed (felt like it crushed). Both the crushed primer was barely smaller.

Since the measured BP w cycled primer length decreased by approx .005, shouldn't the "crushed" primer be what decreased in size?

I wonder how much room the primer pocket has when we install the new primer into the BP by hand? Maybe when we cycle it, it pushes it all the way down in (something we can't do by hand with a new primer) and just barely bottoms out? Maybe that is where the slack is? Not that we are actually crushing the primer by that full .005? IDK, I'm confused. :huh?:

Maybe I should just stick to shooting deer and not worry about it. :lol:

Back