knight bolt gun owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV hunter,

I mistakenly just assumed you inadvertently added an extra zero. My bad. You probably just have minimal crush as it is. Did you shim your plug or is it just stock?

ShawnT said:
WV hunter,

I mistakenly just assumed you inadvertently added an extra zero. My bad. You probably just have minimal crush as it is. Did you shim your plug or is it just stock?

Stock, no shim. When I started this knight bolt gun / bh209 journey last spring, I was told that W209 were a bit longer and worked very well in the extreme/elite with both Lehigh and Knight BPs. So that is what I got and so far so good. The talk on shimming has seemed to be much more popular here in the last few months (especially in the mountaineers/UL's), I don't recall reading much about it a year ago (with W209 primers).

I have shot the Lehigh BP w these same W209 primers with zero blowback. I have not shot the Knight BP, but it feels basically about the same when I cycle it. I guess it could leak, who knows.

WV Hunter said:
ShawnT said:
WV hunter,

Stock, no shim. When I started this knight bolt gun / bh209 journey last spring, I was told that W209 were a bit longer and worked very well in the extreme/elite with both Lehigh and Knight BPs. So that is what I got and so far so good. The talk on shimming has seemed to be much more popular here in the last few months (especially in the mountaineers/UL's), I don't recall reading much about it a year ago (with W209 primers).

I have shot the Lehigh BP w these same W209 primers with zero blowback. I have not shot the Knight BP, but it feels basically about the same when I cycle it. I guess it could leak, who knows.
Is the BP you measured a Lehigh plug or Knight? Yours sounds like it is on the edge but if it is working why bother. I would not worry about it till you start getting some blow back in a new bunch of primers. We have off and on discussed the shims since around 2010 or so, but your right it has come up a lot in the last several months. I think a lot of that is started from New members trying to figure out what guys here are doing.

Knight Ultralite purchased new in 2015

1) Winchester Triple Seven 209 Primer = .300"
2) Length un-crushed in breech plug = 1.883"
3) Length crushed in breech plug = 1.883"

1) Winchester Primer W209 = .298"
2) Length un-crushed in breech plug = 1.880"
3) Length crushed in breech plug = 1.880"

Both primers leak and I have established that I need to shim the plug. Taking these measurements drive that point home for me.

Note that the primer pocket in the breech plug is .218" deep.

I measured five of each primer and found they varied in length by .004".

ShawnT said:
Is the BP you measured a Lehigh plug or Knight? Yours sounds like it is on the edge but if it is working why bother. I would not worry about it till you start getting some blow back in a new bunch of primers. We have off and on discussed the shims since around 2010 or so, but your right it has come up a lot in the last several months. I think a lot of that is started from New members trying to figure out what guys here are doing.

Shawn if you look at my first post, one rifle has the lehigh version in it, one has the knight version. So both plugs were measured, and reported on. I'm with you...I ain't gonna worry about it. If I ever end up needing a shim, so be it. :D

Bestill, hope I am not confusing others by giving you more measurements than was requested.

Since I had three brand new bp's for the Ultra Lite, (the one that came with rifle I was assuming was "headspaced" to this bolt) and I was curious as to the variances/consistency of the two replacements I also ordered.

Seems they are all "drop in" fit and made accurately to be within a certain spec by the subcontractor. There are no markings to notate any "matching" with the bolt and the original breechplug.

I did shim the plug that came with the rifle just to get a bit of crush, even without firing it first to see the amount of blowback potential. It probably did not require it, but with others noting their recent purchases have had a lot of issues with primers sticking and too much variance I was being proactive. I do like the tolerances of this 2016 Ultra Lite, and feel like it was built right!

The range will tell the tale...

16 guns reported
9 disc with.042 variance
7 ultra light- mountaineer.007 variance
Please keep info coming

All these questions around 209's. I thought having to shoot NW legal (#11 or M-Caps) was a bother.

I culled primers and worked with all 0.301
Mountaineer (edit: I used all unshimmed BP on mountaineers. some new some spares, 1 was shooting with O-ring, Ive decided these arent a good long term fix)
all BPs were 1.793 (all lehigh, different sources)
all new primer & plug 1.887
#1: 1.884
#2: 1.884
#3: 1.883
I didnt try the .32 conversion. Ill get to discs in a bit
these were all clean bare plug measurements. I removed BPs first, and redid clean (no teflon/grease) and measured with Bolt with no firing pins. (everything got a quick clean while they were out)
Disc (these were shimmed primers)
all plugs 1.644, all primers .301
before - After
#1 1.771 - 1.771
#2 1.775 - 1.769
#3 1.772 - 1.768

* #2 had a probably over shimmed BP, and also honed to be loose. came that way, but works well.

Mountaineer bp 1.792 primer .300 oal 1.88. Cycled oal 1.85 . Cycled primer .297. This is a new mountaineer purchased February 2016. It has one .oo5 shim in primer pocket. Hope i included the right info. HC.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

This is a new mountaineer, February 2016, it has one .005 shim added to primer pocket. Breech plug 1.792, primer .300, breech plug with primer uncrushed 1.88, crushed 1.85, primer crushed .297.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Back