Knight Disc Supreme- conversion to Large rifle primers with BlackHorn powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
We are working on a Knight Disc Extreme 50 caliber rifle made the first year of production. I am still looking for BackHorn 209 powder but will find some, eventually. My specialty is long range precision shooting with a centerfire rifle and I am left with the impression that a conversion to using a large rifle primer will result in more consistent ignition, Therefore consistent velocities, whether lower or higher, the key is consistency, thus accuracy!
My first hunt will be in late December in northern Missouri and I am wondering if there are any forum readers who have made this conversion and whether it could be a cold weather issue or not. I have the 209 primers and red containers they are used with in this rifle and can live with getting to learn that system, as this is all new to me. However, I would like to learn exactly what would be involved in a large rifle primer conversion for this rifle. if someone has made the conversion already, I would like to read about that experience.

Thank You,

WW

I think that Ron Laughlin is the only one i know who has made a plug that will take the Vari Flame LRMP modules.(well i did one of my own too but wouldn't do it for others) There are a few here who have converted their Knights to smokeless capable but that involves a new barrel. Ive converted all my knight DISCs to bare primers and been extremely happy with performance. There was a conversion to SMRP for the older plunger Knights but i wouldnt try bh209 with that setup even if it were DISC compatible. I have Vari Flame breech plugs for my Omeg and Accura and really like both setups. PRBullets in Canada will also mod your breech plug to take Vari Flames, he invented the VFs, i think.
Whatever you end up doing keep us informed and pics would be awesome.

Michiganmuzzy,

Thank you for this advice. Now I have to learn about Variflame LRMP and also this bare primer concept. I will figure them out.
I started with this rifle and a thumbhole stock. New Mexico only allows iron sights, and I have shot Sharps before with a globe front sight and vernier rear sights and they require a normally shaped stock for the proper mounting of the vernier atop the wrist. I was given another Knight with a plunger type of action and a standard type of camouflaged stock- good for what I wanted ..... eventually.
I dislike significantly the single set screw that attaches the action to the stock. Instead, we are taking the screw out of the trigger assembly and adding a pillar to the stock and running a new screw up from the bottom of the stock, through the pillar and securing the trigger assembly and stock to the action. A floor plate will be added to the bottom of the stock so now both action screws will be attached to this floor plate and also the action; just like every single other bolt action rifle.
The buttstock of this camoed stock is large and serrated and hard; designed to inflict PAIN. a large Limbsaver recoil pad will be added to the rear and a muzzllebrake added to the front. The stainless action has a scope mounted already and a scope will be used on the Missouri whitetail hunt late in the season.
Next Spring, the globe front sight and vernier rear will be added, so it will be legal for New Mexico. I am lucky to know a gunsmith who is not afraid of taking on challenges.

Latest posts

Back