Knight Knockout (KO) 12 bore rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted the ramrod to sit flush with the underside of the barrel - I didn't want to install a rib.

After sweating in place..

Attachments

• z K 12b ramrod cut copy.JPG
    z K 12b ramrod cut copy.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 625
  • z K 12b ramrod tube copy.JPG
    z K 12b ramrod tube copy.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 625
Ebony rod is done and ends are pinned.

I hope this works!

Attachments

• z K 12b ramrod puller copy.JPG
    z K 12b ramrod puller copy.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 623
  • z K12 muz rr cut.JPG
    z K12 muz rr cut.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 623
You are using a 1:28 twist????? Shouldn't it be more on the order of 1:100? I think that bullet is going to start stripping in the rifling as it goes down the barrel due to the too fast twist. Read the book by Forsythe [sp?] on the old English M/L rifles.

12 gauge sabot for 50cal bullets. :D
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/RSS-12 ... fo/322RSS/

Specifications: Diameter: 0.712" Length: 1.195" Thickness: 0.140"
Typical Loads: .50 cal 350-grain or 500 grain Hornady XTP bullet.
Made in USA

RSS12.jpg

RB, Sabot - like Ed said to Ron with his bullet - WHAT???
Kidding aside, when buying the barrel blank I enquired as to the twist. Owner didn't know but finally told me it looked to turn about 1 time. That sounded odd to me, I just looked up 1:28 12ga - ha, lots of modern shotgun barrels these days are made with this twist! So, I bought it wanting to build a rifle and play/learn (initial thoughts were a 4 bore, but I quickly realized it wouldn't fit in a Knight stock)
With only initial firing/range test back in February, even with a low charge of 85gr BP and 3 shots in one large hole at 25yds - didn't show any signs of problems that would warrant changing course at this time. The recoil is nothing, so the next test will be with larger powder charges - I hope that occurs soon.

Received my parts back and assembled the rifle. Color case hardened action & rings and bases, rust blued barrel, black ice bolt - now it looks like something.
Getting stuff together to head to the range in the morning.

Add, sorry for the sideways photos - If you click on them their turn normal. Still learning with this phone..

Attachments

• 12b wall full.JPG
    12b wall full.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 12b wall half rt.JPG
    12b wall half rt.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 12b wall lt.JPG
    12b wall lt.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 422

Attachments

• 12b wall full mtnr.jpg
    12b wall full mtnr.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 422
Made another bullet mold with the same ojive cutter I've made all my inline molds with..
Used the same base from other mold.

bullet diameter 0.718", length 1.060", meplat is .45" diameter.

Attachments

• 12b 845 mold copy.jpg
    12b 845 mold copy.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 417
  • 12b 845 scale.JPG
    12b 845 scale.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 417
  • 12b 845 250 front copy.jpg
    12b 845 250 front copy.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 417
1/2 the top band on the bullet was made slightly larger than the others at bore diameter.
Ran bullets thru a piece of barrel - really just to wipe the excess lube off and it just barely pre-rifles the top band.

Attachments

• 12b size 1.JPG
    12b size 1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 12b size 2.JPG
    12b size 2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 414
Range session all with Olde Enysford

After sighting in the 1x scope at 25 yards - 2 nearly in the same hole, so things were looking good.
Small spray marks on target is bullet lube.
85gr OE 2F

50 yard test with different charges 2F and 1.5F along with the MV

One last target with 120gr 1.5F

Interesting at 50 yds I did NOT make any sight changes and shot 7 different targets with different powder charges. The 1x scope covered the 6" black bull at 50.
Was hoping at least 1 group might be close to all 3 touching - not today. The last group - bottom right was with a hard card wad, MV same and stopped after 2 shots that were 5" apart.

Attachments

• 12b 25 85 2F.JPG
    12b 25 85 2F.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 12b test.JPG
    12b test.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 12b 50 120 1.5.jpg
    12b 50 120 1.5.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 390
I have read this post so many times and I just had to finally say that is a sweet rifle, great work those added extras, forearm and case coloring, are nice.

pupsdad said:
I have read this post so many times and I just had to finally say that is a sweet rifle, great work those added extras, forearm and case coloring, are nice.
Thanks, I think it's better in person, it feels wonderful. Had it at Friendship, it was well received and Jason from Rice didn't want to give it back.. I told them it was a traditional in-line.
Ask the range officer if we could shoot it at a large bore silhouette about 50-60 yards late one afternoon when the line was slow - once he saw the bullet, he said "no".

Ask the range officer if we could shoot it at a large bore silhouette about 50-60 yards late one afternoon when the line was slow - once he saw the bullet, he said "no".

AHH Come on, just one! :lol: :lol:

What stock did you use for this?

Awesome work! You could make a sleeve for the receiver ring to make it match the barrel diameter. It would give a large ring 98 Mauser appearance and if sweated on, an additional recoil bearing surface.
That thing will make quite a hole...

Confederate rifleman said:
Awesome work! You could make a sleeve for the receiver ring to make it match the barrel diameter. It would give a large ring 98 Mauser appearance and if sweated on, an additional recoil bearing surface.
That thing will make quite a hole...
My inspiration for the look I was after was a little earlier (and slimmer) than Mauser, sorry.. I've held this rifle and wish I'd bought it along with some others when the collection was sold after his passing.

Back