Knight Wolverine question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30530

Reaction score
Hello...recently picked up an older Knight...reading through the users manual it states:

"Knight® Rifles does not recommend the use of non-saboted lead projectiles,
this includes patched round balls. These bullets can easily be moved from the
powder charge. This will result in an obstructed barrel, and upon firing, could
cause and explosion. If you choose or legally have to shoot non-saboted lead
projectiles, always check that your projectile is properly seated immediately
before priming and firing."

Does this mean no patch/ball ever or just ensure when you tamp it down its a
tight enough fit to stay put before firing?...not some special ultra slick bore coating
that makes it more prone to that...

Thanks
Tom

It's usually best practices to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for any product.
Having said that, I have never experienced a patched ball moving off the powder charge.
Lead conical bullets, yes.
When hunting, I will take my ramrod and check my charge from time to time, if using a lead conical bullet, just to make sure it hasn't moved.

One of the pyrodex products. If I dont get the accuracy I want Ill go to T7. But Ill bet 75-85 grains of Pyrodex will be wonderful.

No offense intended but I think using pyrodex is akin to pouring battery acid down the barrel.

Just for shooting close to home. Will be cleaned within minutes. I have had good (great) luck shooting Holy black out of my Bighorn. As stated, it gets cleaned very shortly after the last shot. Love the smoke. :2cool:

It is possible for lead projectiles to come off the charge, as lead has almost no elasticity to help maintain pressure or friction to keep it in place. That said, I've never had that problem. In fact Knight (and other manufacturers) used to advertise that the rate of twist they used was good for all manner of muzzleloading projectiles. It is, however, a highly recommended practice to make sure you seat your projectiles well, and use a "witness mark" on your ramrod to make sure seating depth is consistent. And double check it throughout your hunting day.
I take Knight's warning as something their lawyers had them add, just in case. It's been a few decades, but I'm pretty sure my MK 85 did not come with such a warning.

Clean spotless with warm soapy water
Displace water with rubbing alcohol. Makes water evaporate very very fast.
Follow up with a good synthetic oil or CLP.

WD40 or Brake Clean can be used in place of rubbing alcohol but you need to be careful with it around stocks/plastics.

I'm 100 percent with you on the alcohol. I use 91 percent. I also like to run an oily patch through the barrel in the next day or two just for peace of mind.
I haven't shot anything other than black powder for years but the procedure would be the same with pyrodex or triple 7 for that matter.

Back