To Clean, or Not to Clean---WHY IS THERE EVEN A QUESTION?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I was reading a post several minutes ago, and something the OP wrote provoked the title of this thread.

First off, let me make this disclaimer..... THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT WHETHER, OR NOT, TO CLEAN BETWEEN SHOTS!!!!

Second, this is a thread about cleaning one's weapons after returning from the range, or from the field.

Third, my background. I got started at 17 in 1971 with a semi-custom, .45 caliber, flintlock longrifle that cost $330. It took a year to pay for, working for minimum wage after school.

I had no mentors. I was self-taught, using the Lyman Black Powder Handbook, and copies of Muzzle Blasts magazines. I made mistakes, GOD was watching out for a hard headed kid, and I learned how to load, and shoot for successive shots WITHOUT HAVING TO CLEAN BETWEEN SHOTS. For up to as many as 75 shots in a row (most ever taken in 1 day).

Fourth, I come from a family of artisans and craftsmen that take pride in what they do. I was taught from the first time I shot a weapon, that you IMMEDIATELY cleaned it when you were finished shooting, unless there were dire circumstances that prevented you from doing so.

Firearms in my family were regarded as finely crafted tools (regardless of their price tag) to be held in the highest regard. To not clean one after shooting it was to be disrespectful to the firearm, and to oneself.

Fifth, I stopped shooting, and sold all of my weapons in 1994. I won't go into all of the reasons here, but suffice it to say I felt my reasons were sufficient cause for my doing so at that time.

I started lurking on various m-l forums about 2010. Here, our sister forum, Frontier, GON, Alaska Outdoors, American LongRifles, North Dakota, Cast Boolits, etc.

Over the past 10 years I cannot tell you how many times I have read the question about when to clean.

Smokeless powder shooters are spoiled rotten. Since the advent of non-corrossive primers, a shooter theoretically does not have to clean their weapon directly after firing it.

For some reason, this has transferred over, apparently through advertising, to the users of all black powder substitutes.

Somewhere along the way, people have gotten the idea that if it's NOT REAL BLACK POWDER, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN RIGHT AWAY.

I have not yet used Blackhorn209 myself, but it is the only BP substitute that one can get away with not cleaning right away. This is because of it's chemical composition.

My thoughts are these.....

If you pull the trigger on a muzzleloading firearm, not smokeless, then it should be cleaned immediately upon returning home.

If you went hunting, failed to shoot, and the atmospheric conditions permit it; then leave it loaded, tagged with warning tape, until you return to the hunt the following day(s).

Each shooter will have to decide how long they will leave a m-l firearm loaded before pulling the load, or shooting it out.

Real black powder is hygroscopic, which is to say it attracts water. Atmospheric water. So do some of the substitutes.

Personally, 1 week is about as long as I want ANY chemical in contact with the steel of my barrel, and breech. I do not care how corrosive, or supposedly NON-CORROSSIVE that propellant is.

The cost of the primer/percussion cap, powder charge, patch/lubricant/round ball, wad/lead conical, sabot/jacketed bullet is insignificant compared to the possible short term/long term damage that might occur from prolonged contact between a propellant and the barrel.

So. when the Optima V2 pistol finally makes its way back to me after DOC White modifies the stocks, I intend to clean it after EVERY shooting session or hunt. Even if Blackhorn209 is the ONLY PROPELLANT THAT HAS EVER BEEN SHOT THROUGH ITS BARREL!!!!!

I want this pistol to last as long as possible, so cleaning it every time I use it just seems like common sense to me.

I welcome others thoughts.

I only shoot BH209 powder in my smoker muzzleloaders. They always get cleaned when I get home from the range. If I'm hunting and I don't take a shot, and only if the conditions are right, I won't shoot the load out and clean the rifle. I forgot to clean my first muzzleloader shortly after I got it. I'm not sure how it happened but I was sick when I found out what I had done. Pitting is not terrible in that rifle and it still shoots good but I hope I never do that again.

I will say, I may be even more anal about cleaning, than most. I was long time Army on artillery cannons. They had black powder igniter pads on the bottom powder increments. We would punch our tubes and clean them well. Once cleaned , oiled and stored, we would go back each day to re wipe and oil our tube. We we told the barrel will sweat for several days and rust . All this being said, it carried over into my personal fire arms. I have had muzzleloaders I bought 40 years ago that have bright and shiny bores and shoot great. Every time one is fired it is cleaned that day no matter how exhausted I am. When not going to be used again, I patch for 3 days relube. Long term storage cleaned every month fired or not. This a sin to me to rust my gun.

An old Bishop of mine was fond of saying, "Those who know,know. Those who don't, dont." Same applies here. In my group of hunters I'm the guy who tracks the wounded deer and who cleans everyone's rifles. Everyone in the group is a great person, but I'm always amazed they still kill deer with their muzzleloaders. I've cleaned up some real rust buckets from them. It kills me, these guys will spend a thousand bucks on a high end bolt action and buy the cheapest muzzleloader at Walmart and give it no care. For some reason a lot of people consider muzzleloaders dispensable.

Just before deer season last year a buddy of mine brings me his v1 optima and asks me to look it over for him. Looked like he hadnt cleaned it ever. BP was plugged solid. Bore was rusty. Trigger wouldnt work when hammer was cocked. Took hours to get it functional again. He got lucky and it still is accurate at 50yds. But the barrel is well pitted now. He actually thought i would buy it from him so he could go buy a new one.

Just before deer season last year a buddy of mine brings me his v1 optima and asks me to look it over for him. Looked like he hadnt cleaned it ever. BP was plugged solid. Bore was rusty. Trigger wouldnt work when hammer was cocked. Took hours to get it functional again. He got lucky and it still is accurate at 50yds. But the barrel is well pitted now. He actually thought i would buy it from him so he could go buy a new one.

Now this should be posted in the "a little humor" thread.

Now this should be posted in the "a little humor" thread.

I've worn glasses since I was a little kid.

As I got older, whenever a supposed "friend" asked me a question like the one michiganmuzzy's buddy asked him, I would pull my glasses down to the end of my nose, and stare over them like my school teachers used to do. Without saying a word, with a disgusted look on my face. Until they said, "WHAT!!"

That was usually enough to stop the conversation. Only the truly stupid, or extremely selfish ones felt it necessary to continue talking.

I've worn glasses since I was a little kid.

As I got older, whenever a supposed "friend" asked me a question like the one michiganmuzzy's buddy asked him, I would pull my glasses down to the end of my nose, and stare over them like my school teachers used to do. Without saying a word, with a disgusted look on my face. Until they said, "WHAT!!"

That was usually enough to stop the conversation. Only the truly stupid, or extremely selfish ones felt it necessary to continue talking.
I havent determined which one he is yet. Little bit of both i s'pose. Still, he is my friend so...

Now that’s funny, can’t imagine he would think that especially after you had to do everything you had to just so he would be able to shoot it. Man talk about a pair of B%#ls

Yep, clean at the end of the day

BTW, which is the cleanest, least corrosive powder used in long guns

Latest posts

Back