Knowing The Limits Of Rust Preventives

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great link Tom! I've read over and over thru the years test such as these a Boeshield T-9 is ALWAYS among the top 1 or 2.

Looks like WD-40 did pretty well also.

Actually did better in these test than Break-Free :eek:

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Looks like WD-40 did pretty well also.

Actually did better in these test than Break-Free :eek:

Maybe so but I still wouldn't use WD40 for anything but door hinges. :roll:

Maybe so but I still wouldn't use WD40 for anything but door hinges.

I wouldn't either! That IS the first test I've seen where WD-40 HAS done anything other rust!

Have you guys even tried any WD-40 on a firearm in the last 5 years or so :?:

Underclocked said:

Well I at least THOUGHT that! MAYBE they have IMPROVED it!

I use it on my mower decks & hand tools. Does a great job!

I wonder how Rem Oil would do in a test?

I've used the stuff for years on my firearms. Long ago I would notice the buildup of an almost varnish coating if allowed to accumulate. Nowadays I always use pressurized air to remove any excess and have not noticed any such buildup in a very long time. The WD-40 formula surely has been changed over the years.

I generally patch the bores out with Butch's and add a final thin coat of CLP - but I'm not sure the CLP is at all necessary. WD-40 still needs to be kept away from any optics and it may still kill primers (unsure). My rifles are perfectly functional, have good triggers, and there isn't a spot of rust on any of them.

My hunting is done in mostly moderate temps though. No sea air and no extreme cold. Other products might work far better for those that encounter such conditions. But the stuff works for me.

Underclocked said:

I used WD-40 about 8 years ago, but have since used Break-Free.

Never had a problem with Break-Free, but always take care of my guns first thing when return from hunting or even during when the weather dictates.

I learned a hard lesson when I was a kid, and used the old man's Model 12 duck gun. I did not take care of cleaning after a wet morning of duck hunting. Left the gun in the case for a couple days. I can still feel the pain. :d'oh!:

All I can say is that crap WON'T be on or in any of my firearms period.

Back