Lathe questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upper Hand

Reaction score
If this is posted in the wrong section feel free to move.

Been looking to get a lathe for a while but can't seem to get any stright answers about the quality of imported machines. The consensus I've received overwhelmingly has been to find an older Clausing / Atlas / South Bend but everyone I've found around here (St. Louis area) is unsuitable in one or more of a variety of ways. (rust, wear, size, ect.)

I've been looking hard at several Grizzly models, reviews are pretty good and customer service is said to be great. Problem is that the older machinist guys I know that are more knowledgeable in non-CNC stuff won't even entertain a conversation about anything offshore. Thoughts?

I don't have one, just used one a few times years ago. Some would depend on what the intended use is? What I'm getting at, with somewhat lighter, recreational use it can be hard to afford the very best available. The budget factors in of course too.

Some here likely know more, then average in the net reviews to fill in the gaps.

I don't mind spending some money for something high quality and used but I'm just not finding them. Most of the used gear around here is really just scrap or for parts, last 3 I checked out had substantial wear / damage in the bed.
What I have in mind is something with 24"-30" between centers and a spindle bore equal to or greater than 1". Beyond that I'd like to cut threads but a quick change gear box isn't required. In a Chinese machine I can get what I want for around 2k with a bunch of of accessories. Probably won't get used a ton but I'd like to think it'd will last a good long while, not the type of purchase I want to make regularly.

Quite interesting. Would a AA Monarch lathe be a possibility for you.

jims said:
Quite interesting. Would a AA Monarch lathe be a possibility for you.

I don't know much about Monarchs, the ones I've seen are much larger than I'm looking for but I'm not sure what model they were.

Monarchs are one of the best.
I've had 2 South Bends. 10" x 30" c-to-c (13/16" hole) table top version for 15+ years, I could do 95% of anything gun related I wanted - barrels I could not. Collets are a must.
Upgraded to a nearly new 13X60 about 7-8 years ago. Larger 1.375" hole makes life a little easier - but it's a much bigger lathe. Tooling is where the $ come into play.
For your first lathe, just get one. I can't tell you how many uses it has for around the house stuff. Trial and error is how I've learned..
Good luck.

52Bore said:
Monarchs are one of the best.
I've had 2 South Bends. 10" x 30" c-to-c (13/16" hole) table top version for 15+ years, I could do 95% of anything gun related I wanted - barrels I could not. Collets are a must.
Upgraded to a nearly new 13X60 about 7-8 years ago. Larger 1.375" hole makes life a little easier - but it's a much bigger lathe. Tooling is where the $ come into play.
For your first lathe, just get one. I can't tell you how many uses it has for around the house stuff. Trial and error is how I've learned..
Good luck.

What is the minimum horsepower you would consider for gunsmith work?

3/4HP on my 10", 1HP on my 13", bogging it down will depend on the material and amount of CUT you make. For general gun stuff you'll find how much you can take with each pass. Both my lathes have been flat belt driven, I like this as the belt will slip off before something breaks, etc.

Latest posts

Back