let's talk HUNTING!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alaska viking said:
The couple of years I lived in Arizona, (Payson), I would put in for the early white tail hunt in units 29 and 30A. Was only there for two seasons, and managed a buck both years, though the deer were few and far between. And LOTS of quail to hunt.
That was 15 years ago, so things may have changed, but back then, at least those hunts were almost a sure thing to at least draw a tag and hunt. Oh, and loads of coyotes, also.

Quail hunting in Az is great, dove and belive it or not we harvest quite a few ducks and geese in the desert, that will be what I hunt this year,

Bow season starts here Thursday, bunch of us took off work to hunt. Muzzleloaders won't hit the field until mid November, unless I take the .32 out in the meantime and chase squirrels.

Fmfdred56 said:
The time is now! 3 whites and a knight in the back seat trucks loaded up and headed to deer camp! Should arrive about noon today and season opens saturday morning!

Sounds like a joke.

Three whites and knight walked into a bar....

Just got home 3 whites a knight and 2 full velvet muley bucks made the ride home! My wife got her first buck a pretty Forky with a 30 yard quartering away shot, and I took a tall 3x4 buck with a 15 yard quartering away shot. Can ya tell we are bow hunters at heart lol.

Here in Virginia deer archery opens October 1 statewide. Here in the eastern part deer ML opens November 5 and regular firearms deer November 19. Deer closes 1st Saturday of January. Limit most places is 3 antlered and pretty much unlimited antlerless, you get 6 tags on license but can get "bonus" antlerless tags over the counter. For ML it is 45 cal minimum shooting 38 cal minimum bullets and as long as it loads through the muzzle end it's legal. Most hunters around here shoot "inline" type guns and I haven't seen a traditional carried by a hunter in probably 10 years. There is a growing number of guys shooting SML and you see them pretty regular. Mostly break action "conversion" type SML but plenty of custom and commercial types out there too. I'm kind of a SML addict and usually "build" or "assemble" a new one almost every year since 2007. I've had 4 Savage MLII, 4 "rebuilt" 700ML and 2 Encore conversions. Just put a Brux 45 on one of the Savages and had one of the 45 cal 700ML cerakoted OD green. Just need some cooler weather to do some shooting, calling for 95 tomorrow.

Skirrel open now until end February and most other small game open in Nov. Just don't have the time to go through bear, turkey and all the fancy regulations on seasons. If you are reading this and really interested go to the Virginia DGIF site and get it all.
W

6 deer per license with 3 being bucks!!! :shock: . That would be amazing! Here we get 1 buck per year period no matter which weapon. So if you fill your tag on a buck with your bow in Sept you are done hunting for the year. Really makes you think twice before pulling the trigger.

We get one buck a year if you have enough points to get the tag. Colorado is really an elk hunting state. They make it easy to hunt for elk, but deer herds are low now and tags are much harder to get.

Just as well. I love elk meat and pretty much don't like mule deer meat. It taste like sage to me. I usually donate it to the mission.

20160915_100302_zpstrb2a1ue.jpg

Opening day Missouri 9:45 am. Battled 90 degree heat, ticks and chiggers, I'm going back to fishing until we get a frost.

Opening morning of my muzzy deer season this year it was 14 degrees when the wife and I headed out.

Fmfdred56 said:
Opening morning of my muzzy deer season this year it was 14 degrees when the wife and I headed out.

I have to hunt during the later rifle seasons to get nice temps like that. Our muzzy season which ends today is way too hot. It makes it so hard to get all the elk meat out without some of it spoiling. Wish I had a mule.

03mossy said:
I generally have to wait for the 2nd weekend of November to get in the deerstand when firearms season starts. But I took up bowhunting this year so that season starts in 16 days! Very excited to give that a try. Had a setback Monday night when we got 10" of rain in 4 hours! Went out to my already went swampy woods Tuesday night and it's water up to my needs in most spots. Makes putting my stand up this weekend a bit harder. All to feed the family huh.

I was just trying to figure out if that was knees, nads, or a combination of both? Either way, sounds deep? Hope it has dried out some for you?

December for our designated muzzleloader season here. We can also use them during the November 15-30 all firearms season, the September early antlerless, and December late antlerless seasons.

The archery season runs October 1st - November 14th, then starts back up again December 1st - January 1st.

Liberty Hunt (Youth Hunt and 100% Disabled Veterans Hunt and other sight and mobility Disabled persons) is going on this weekend, Septrmber17-18, in conjunction with the early antlerless 2 day season. There is also a 4 day Independence Hunt October 13-16 for 100% Disabled Veterans and other sight and mobility Disabled persons. All legal firearms can be used during these seasons.

Tis the Season!

Upper Hand said:
20160915_100302_zpstrb2a1ue.jpg

Opening day Missouri 9:45 am. Battled 90 degree heat, ticks and chiggers, I'm going back to fishing until we get a frost.

Nice... congrats...

We are gonna go out this friday if its cool enough with the stick and string...Hopefully start filling the freezer early....

I'm in the same boat as Busta here in Michigan.Last half of November then muzzy in December.All you guys that are out hunting good luck to ya.Be safe and have fun.

Muley hunter we are in the same state I believe I was in Colorado unit 14 near steamboat when I had 14 degrees opening day of muzzy season this year.

That's Colorado for you. Sun one minute and snow the next.

Anytime I go in the mountains I layer up. It's easy to take it off when hot, but if I dress too light and it gets cold i'm screwed. I've seen it snow every month of the year.

Yes sir I have as well! My family has land outside of Leadville it snowed on us first Friday in august a few years back.

Back