Loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
For any one interested here is a load that works for black powder and conical bullet out of .45 Knight rifle.
94 grns Swiss 2FF
.025 pressed paper wad
525 grn conical HP { Grease Groove}
This load is good to 1000 yds.

fivebull said:
For any one interested here is a load that works for black powder and conical bullet out of .45 Knight rifle.
94 grns Swiss 2FF
.025 pressed paper wad
525 grn conical HP { Grease Groove}
This load is good to 1000 yds.

fivebull, Do you have the velocity for your load and at what range is the round sufficient to harvest a whitetail? That heavy conical should maintain sufficient energy for a considerable distance.

The velocity is 1330 and still has 948 velocity at 500 with 1049 at 500 yds. That is plenty to take deer. The HP does open like it is supposed to. The bc of bullet is around .377
I took a deer at about 429 with this bullet and load. It was from another rifle , that belongs to a friend. He developed the load.I believe to take deer at 300 or better is very hard to do, because of wind. I haven't been able to do it again yet.

I've taken quite a few whitetail between 200 and 250 with a tricked out Pro Hunter, but shooting lighter bullets. However the wind can sure play with bullets. I wouldn't take that shot in much more than calm winds and let many walk for another day.

It was in the evening when it was taken . I had another fellow with me and he was spotting. Same fellow that shot 1000 yd. target. @00 to 300 yds. any Inline with good load should be able to take deer. It was shot from prone using cross sticks. Ballistics on my 390 grn HP starts running out of gas at about 250. I think that is a problem with shooting the .50 is bullet weight

Out of my custom Ultimate BP Xpress .50:

180grs T7 propellant - 3 T7M pellets
300gr Whitetail Medicine bullet
BC of .24
MV - 2,300fps

I've been good to 400yds with less than moa. Have not shot beyond 400yds as yet. Our local Sportsman's club does have a 600yd range.

Here is another good load for 300 using a Inline
390 grn pure lead HP
crushed rib harvester
80 grn. 2FF Swiss black
BC about .280
1350 velocity
This load also worked pretty well for targets in the Inline Agg at Friendship

Latest posts

Back