Loc-tite on scope rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only blue loc-tite the bases. Never had any issues with the rings. I don't see why a little drop of blue loc-tite on the rings wouldn't hurt.
As I've been scrolling & reading, I was glad to see your post. I have done exactly the same as you do, Blue locktite on my base screws, nothing in the rings screws. never a single prob with anything ever comin loose.

My 460 Smith and Wesson revolver has "grip strips" that go inside rings because of the recoil. They are the recommended rings and there are 4 rings on the scope.It is recommended to blue locate every screw in the scope mounting assembly. A dab of blue loctite on the rings is a small price to pay for a little extra insurance. If recoil can damage cross hairs or internals of some scopes, it could certainly loosen a screw on a gun that sees a lot of range time. My 30-378 without the break punishes everything and the 460 magnum splits stocks on a encore to the point that MGM will try to get you to avoid it on the encore.Amazing what a little dot of blue stuff makes.....

I use blue loctite on every screw when mounting a scope, rings and bases. I clean every screw and thread with acetone to make sure there is no oil present. I lap the rings to make sure 75% of the ring is making full contact with the scope. This will guarantee the scope is mounted correctly, and will not move with recoil.

I don't use blue loctite but clear nail polish on every screw. Never had a problem. I put thousands and thousands of miles on my guns over the years hunting out of state. They say road vibration is good for loosening screws and that was my concern. When its time to remove a screw there is a distinctive snap when the polish breaks. Cleans up almost instantly by flaking off. I agree a gun needs some kind of product to keep screws from loosening.

Last edited:
I always use blue loc tote on both and sometimes when that’s not handy clear fingernail polish will do the job. Just don’t let mamma know😂
I'm glad to know others do the same. I have been using nail polish for years and never fails. I usually misplace my tube of loctite, but there is always plenty of nail polish around.

You can always try Lavender color Loctite, less locking power than Blue, easier to remove screws and it works great.

I lapped Marks 1piece 30 mm scope mount. When finished it was super even, the lap marks, around inside of rings. So i agree with Mark and would not lap his one piece mount. As after i did, i had problems with scope slipping at desired inch pounds of 18. Went up to about 25 inch pounds and problem persisted. Retired mount..garage ornament.. lol

Back