No crud ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
While working this week I came across a gun shop with 30-40 tins of Musket primers. Never used them before but thought it wise to have the option so I purchased 2 tins. $8.99 ea. Got home and found I had a musket nipple in one of my Knights. Its the one I had on sale here and no one bought it so Im going to use it for hunting this year. I also purchased a Burris Fulfield scope for the gun. $118.00 out the door in auction. Well I loaded the gun with 65 grains by weight of T7 and shot it three times to get it on paper at 90 yards. I spit patched between shots and did not notice a crud ring. I was not getting good groups so moved up to 70 grains by weight of T7, shot 3 times and still no crud ring or acceptable group. Ive never had a grouping problem with a Knight.

Well I decided to give the gun a cleaning and think it through. Behold the rings were only finger tightened to the bases. I forgot to tighten them after I tightened the rings. Sometimes the guy in the mirror is his own worst enemy. 🙃

Ive included a pic of the nipple below. Have anyone else used this kind of nipple and not enjoyed a crud ring???

IMG_3284.JPG

I have not got a good grip on what happens with the T7 n different ignition systems. Example my T/C Blk. Dia. SS .50 using sabot combo n Win. 209 or the #11 or the Musket cap never has a crud ring. My T/C .45 Hawken has it all the time no matter what cap/primer i use. Low powder loads say 35-50 gr i get no crud ring in it. You drop 55 gr on up n yer in deep poop with crud ring

Latest posts

Back