Loc-tite on scope rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lapped Marks 1piece 30 mm scope mount. When finished it was super even, the lap marks, around inside of rings. So i agree with Mark and would not lap his one piece mount. As after i did, i had problems with scope slipping at desired inch pounds of 18. Went up to about 25 inch pounds and problem persisted. Retired mount..garage ornament.. lol
We live & learn by our mistakes huh brother. Hopefully!

Blue locite can come loose with pressure. Red, heat or chlorinated brake cleaner. After screw removal, brake clean soaking and a brass brush gets the threads clean quickly.

As I've been scrolling & reading, I was glad to see your post. I have done exactly the same as you do, Blue locktite on my base screws, nothing in the rings screws. never a single prob with anything ever comin loose.
I agree totally with ALL of the above. Seems to me loc-titeing ring screws COULD lead to over-tightning of the screws, which should be no more than 18-20 INCH-POUNDS to potentially not damage scope internals and tube.

I loctite the base screws and not the rings. I always buy the beefiest rings I can find and periodically re torque them. I've never found anything loose even with high recoil.

Use blue loctite

When using loctite you should not be tightening down to spec. You should be using a bit less. The Loctite acts like a lube until it dries. There is a type of thread locker you apply to threads and let it dry first before installing..........That is the kind of thread locker you want to use if tightening to spec.

The 222 holding power is probably a lot closer to nail polish. Im sure it works as well as blue does. Just a bit harder to find. Anything is better than nothing, on base screws. Heck, even just cleaning the holes & threads and torquing the screws is 100% better than leaving factory installs alone.

Latest posts

Back