low recoil huntimg loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
i am looking for ideas and loads for a low recoil load out to 125yds om whitetails first one i found is 250 SST and 40.0 grains of 5744 it puts 5 shots into a quarter at 100 yrds and bumps you like an sks in 7.62x39
due to a shoulder injury i may have to hunt with it my ??? are this is like a 1950-2000 fps load will the SST at 250grains work on whitetail?
and give an exit wound on a double-lung shot? :p

The 250 SSt will definitely kill whitetails. It is designed for blackpowder velocities and that is about what you have with your load. A premium recoil pad and some weight added to the stock will also help with recoil.

Grouse said:
I'm sure the 250grn SST would work ok. I know the 250grn XTP would be a better bullet for ya.
XTP will work better for short distances

I would opt for the XTP as well.

Maybe a 260 DC would be a little easier?

If you have a Lam. stock, add a sims pad

If not Laminated... maybe add weight to the stock.

If you got with the 260 DC you will lose velocty over the clad bullets.

40gr of 5744 and a 260 may only get you about 1850 or so FPS.. my guess

Still plenty of energy for Whitetail.

Here is a curveball: Try 38-39gr. of AA-5744 with the 200gr. .50cal T/C Shockwave with the blue supplied sabot. My Sav10ML-2 has given me very good accuracy with very light recoil from this load. Perfect for youngsters or folks with tender shoulders that are not looking for a 200 yard load.

Good idea... I have not been that successful with 200's and my Savage- yet.

Do you get complete powder burn?

savageml10-2 said:
i am looking for ideas and loads for a low recoil load out to 125yds om whitetails first one i found is 250 SST and 40.0 grains of 5744 it puts 5 shots into a quarter at 100 yrds and bumps you like an sks in 7.62x39
due to a shoulder injury i may have to hunt with it my ???

A .452 XTP is better, and you are good waaaay past 125 yards with that load. :shock:

Doohan - The powder burn appears to be complete. I use a bore mop between shots and I do not notice any more fouling with the 38-39gr of AA-5744 and 200gr Shockwaves than I see with other loads.

well we fitted my length of pull its 12 3/4 lol i am kid sized! well i should have it back with fitted sims pad thurs lol no wonder it was so bad on the bench :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: it was whacking me on the edge of my rotator cuff well it is about to improve!!!!!!!!!

:shock: well in all my excitement i forgot just how short all my other stocks were!!!!! :?

IF it were me looking for a low recoil load, I'd probably look at the 250gr .452 XTP or 240gr/260gr Dead Center. HUGE velocity window for either of those bullets to expand properly without over expansion/under penetration.

savageml10-2 said:
due to a shoulder injury i may have to hunt with it my ??? are this is like a 1950-2000 fps load will the SST at 250grains work on whitetail?
and give an exit wound on a double-lung shot? :p

As mentioned by others, try 250gr xtp or SST with 42-45gr. 5744. I was getting 1-1.5"groups at 100 yards with the xtp and 43gr.5744. :D I am however, still experimenting. After I finalize the installation of my Simm's pre-fit pad(not really pre-fit as far as I am concerned), I will be back at Atterbury for more range work. I noticed your location is South central Indiana, if you would like to meet there for some mutual range time e-mail me.

big6x6 said:
IF it were me looking for a low recoil load, I'd probably look at the 250gr .452 XTP or 240gr/260gr Dead Center. HUGE velocity window for either of those bullets to expand properly without over expansion/under penetration.

The 240 DC is a waste of time-- at least it was for me. Ungood.

The 250 XTP would be my choice, for a whole lot of reasons.

Several meantion the 250 XTP. I have gotten far better accuracy with the 240 XTP mag. so you should also give it a try.

HighTechRedneck said:
Several meantion the 250 XTP. I have gotten far better accuracy with the 240 XTP mag. so you should also give it a try.

Not here at all, and I've sure tried. :( With what load?

Latest posts

Back