CVA Accura V2 - Random Loads and Veclocities

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just for general information, I thought I would post some load velocities I recently recorded while shooting my CVA Accura V2 (27" barrel / Winchester 209 primers). The chrono was approximately 15 feet from the muzzle, and the velocties listed are the average velocities of each three shot string.

Barnes TEZ 250 Grain bullet with factory sabot / 60 grains BH209 by volume: 1346 fps
Barnes TEZ 250 Grain bullet with factory sabot / 70 grains BH209 by volume: 1443 fps
Barnes TEZ 250 Grain bullet with factory sabot / 80 grains BH209 by volume: 1606 fps
These loads were shot by my neighbor's wife; she is a good shot, and had no complaints about the recoil.

Knight Bloodline 250 grain bullet with Harvester short black sabot / 100 grains BH209 by volume: 1912 fps
This was my previous whitetail hunting load. With these, the base has ALWAYS passed through the deer's torso. I can't remember if this bullet is .451 or .452.

Knight Bloodline 220 grain bullet with new Harvester orange .458 crush rib sabot / 110 grains BH209 by volume: 2082 fps
This bullet is .458, and the sabots are relatively new; these are relatively tight while loading, but not too difficult to do from a treestand. Also, these sabots shed their petals, but it didn't seem to negatively impact accuracy or consistency. This load only required a two click adjustment down in elevation on the scope. The recoil was slightly less than with the 250 grain Bloodline and 100 grains of BH209. The shot group was also tighter at 25 and 100 yards. I am going to use this as my new hunting load, as Grouse has previously asserted that the lighter the bullet and the higher the velocity, the better the Bloodline bullets function. Of special note, I started using the Bloodline bullets 6 deer ago, and only one deer made me walk to find it. He was dead on his feet, and managed to go about 20-30 yards into a briar laden cutover, out of my sight. The Barnes shoot a better group, but the terminal performance of the Bloodline (and its ability to reduce bloodhsot meat) is simply outstanding.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

P

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I've read a lot of good reviews on the Barns TEZ I recently bought a new cva accura v2 50cal 30"bergara barrel thumbhole stock and I put a Nikon p3 bdc 300 scope on it I'm researching loads looking for load combinations velocity and distance isn't as important as accuracy for me. this is my 2nd muzzleloader and still learning about them from experienced people any advice or suggestions will be appreciated thanks again

For those shooting Accura's or Optima's you might try the 300 grn Thor. They shoot great out of my Optima with 100 grns of Black Horn. Or you could try the 250 grn.

Good info. I have never shot the Bloodlines. I think i may try them this year.

You will not be sorry if you do. If you prefer a cheaper bullet with the same fracturing technology, but at a cheaper price, try Lehigh CF muzzleloader bullets. They are copper instead of brass like the Bloodlines are. The only reason I have not switched to the Lehigh bullet is because the Bloodlines are what I used first, and my first deer kill with the Bloodline made a huge impression on me; after seeing that deer do what it did, I made the decision not to switch bullets again. I will also be trying the CEB Raptor bullets (that also fracture) in my 445 SuperMag later this year for use this fall. I am a believer in the fracturing bullets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I've read a lot of good reviews on the Barns TEZ I recently bought a new cva accura v2 50cal 30"bergara barrel thumbhole stock and I put a Nikon p3 bdc 300 scope on it I'm researching loads looking for load combinations velocity and distance isn't as important as accuracy for me. this is my 2nd muzzleloader and still learning about them from experienced people any advice or suggestions will be appreciated thanks again

Personally, I have not shot a more accurate (solely based on shot groups) bullet out of MY Accura than the 250 grain Barnes TEZ with 110 grains of BH209. I am sure others who have shot a wider variety of bullets than I have, will have other opinions. I prefer gaping hollow pointed bullets for hunting, rather than the tipped bullets, as I will not personally take a shot over 100 yards with a muzzleloader. As such, I cannot speak to the TEZ terminal effectiveness, although I have used the 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander (which has a big hollow point), with success, although the Bloodline has performed better (terminally, not accuracy wise) for me personally.

Ranges of, just wondering did u try the sizing pack and what size worked? Just got a new optima v2. Haven't got to range yet but looking for a few bullets to try. Thanks

Yes. You'll want to use the sizing pack. My Optima uses the .503 bullet. Yours could certainly be different. Thor also now makes a one size fits all. It's my understanding that the osfa is not as accurate.

In 3 different CVA rifles, the Barnes 290 TEZ always shot a bit tighter groups for me than the 250 TEZ. If you like the CF bullets, another you might take a look at is the Cutting Edge Bullets Maximus. Picture is a 100 yd target I shot with my Accura MR using the .45 250 gr Maximus in a Harvester short, smooth, black sabot over 100 gr BH209. 5 shots. Superbly accurate. I took a deer at 137 yds using the .44 version of the same bullet in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 120 gr BH209. Dropped it in it's tracks ad the bullet did just what it was supposed to do.
22042042_1995761354002500_7829718899412171988_o.jpg

In 3 different CVA rifles, the Barnes 290 TEZ always shot a bit tighter groups for me than the 250 TEZ. If you like the CF bullets, another you might take a look at is the Cutting Edge Bullets Maximus. Picture is a 100 yd target I shot with my Accura MR using the .45 250 gr Maximus in a Harvester short, smooth, black sabot over 100 gr BH209. 5 shots. Superbly accurate. I took a deer at 137 yds using the .44 version of the same bullet in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 120 gr BH209. Dropped it in it's tracks ad the bullet did just what it was supposed to do.
View attachment 4105
Nice shooting!

View attachment 4105

Impressive shooting

I was just having a really good day. I will not pretend I can do that every time on the range but I have shot the bullet enough to know it is inherently accurate and capable of very tight groups with the right load, rifle and shooter. Cutting Edge Bullets also has a .44 210 gr & a .45 300 gr Maximus and while they are also very capable, the 250 gr has always shot best for me in my rifles. Their bullets are a bit pricey but they periodically run 20-25% off sales which make them quite reasonably priced for a premium bullet.

Back