The 45 strikes again!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I filled an antlerless tag with a button doe. Don't know what else to call her. Shemale? Anyway, she had antler buttons, but was otherwise all girl.
Was down the Patch enjoying a beautiful morning. Blew out something big going in. Thing had a snort like a velaceraptor! Thought I blew it, but sat anyway. After a bit, I thought about going back to the car for the 22 as squirrels are abundant. I looked down for a second or 2, and when I looked up...
She was coming straight on at 25 yards. Thought I had heard something in the thick stuff. Remember the squirrels?
As acorns were falling like rain, she came in head down and hungry. She looked my way, but failed to notice the pumpkin pointing a 45 at her. She gave me a quartering to shot and BANG flop!
Back legs kicked a couple times and her tail spun like a woodchuck, but it was all over.
The 200 grain 40 caliber xtp did a fearful job. It hit the shoulder knuckle ( blew it to bitty shards) and destroyed 2 ribs tearing a 3 inch hole in the chest wall going in. The lungs were shredded and the heart was blown up. There was no exit and i suspect the bullet was coming apart after having mashed a fair bit of bone.
Driven by 70 grains of Swiss 3f, the xtp left the muzzle at 1800 fps. I figure an impact velocity of 1700ish or 500 fps faster than its rated max of 1200. A proper broadside would probably given a fist sized exit wound. I consider this a kind of extreme test of this bullet, and I'm happy with the results.
This is my 3rd deer with the Black Diamond Super 45XR. With her small appetite for powder, light recoil and impressive terminal effects with both the 180 and 200 grain 40 caliber xtp's, I must admit to not missing the 50 calibers much at all.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great hunt with tasty results. Enjoy those steaks!

Congrads on another great hunt! Love knocking those Tasty ones down for the freezer, can't eat antler! :wink:
That load sure sounds consistent.

Wonderful. Yes, I'll be loading up the 200 grain XTP again this Fall, 110 grains of B209 at 2200 FPS. Nothing against Barnes, but these XTP's have done me well.

Well congratulations on a fine eating deer. I purchased boxes of them 200 grain .40 caliber XTP's not only for the .45 but the .5 also. I never shot them out of my Black Diamond XR .50 caliber so you have me wondering. It sounds like it really put the smack on that deer. And with that small of a powder charge. Amazing! Congratulations.

There must be something in the water now as my friends are reporting more and more small nub antlers on doe they shoot. One person shot a "Buck" with a pumpkin rack only to find out after the kill it had no extras. It was a doe. Sounds kind of like something is happening.

good story, nice kill.

I have 45 disc elite, havent shot it yet, which is bad because its the one I want to use for gun hunting this year, but anyway I've got the hornady 200 sst's, and barnes expanders 195 gr.. ive a couple differnt dead center options.. now you got me curious about the .430 xtp's.. i dont really like the .452 xtps in my 50.. but it sounds like a heavy hitter.. need to get to the range. gun season doesn't open up till nov 15th for me.

Latest posts

Back