LRML MANAGEMENT TOOL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
I have hunted 3 particular farms for over20 yrs each and the ability to setup at a distance and monitor deer in late season with a spotting scope has given me the ability to pick particular older does and wounded deer that will struggle thru the winter and then pick exact deer to harvest on return hunts from a distance.
Yes i could go in and setup and shoot one but then more than likely deer will become nocturnal in late season or move. Many times from a distance you can harvest a couple hand pick does in one sit then drive truck in and pick up deer. Greatly reduced hurd stress and imo over time can greatly improve hurd health by harvesting proper deer

One benefit is with spotting scope at distance i dont kill shed bicks or button bucks

So i believe with proper use a Long range Muzzleloader is a management tool

I see your point and like you say it doesn't spook herd to nocturnal by leaving scent from going in and out. You shoo deer pick them up and set and observe herd at distance . I like it.

Good way to manage some whitetail. Here on the "tundra" (so to speak), we're careful not to take the dominant doe, as she's the one most educated for harsh winter survival. They tend to teach the younger deer how to make it through a hard winter.
When reducing the herd of does when we had the farm, those longer shots enabled us to harvest more than a single doe in an evenings set.

Back