Lyman Great Plains RIFLE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
That's right, I said Rifle not Hunter. I had shot already today the Staghorn Magnum and had cleaned it. I was just sitting down ready to rest when the door bell rang. It was the mailman.

He had me sign for a box, and commented to me.. kind of heavy Dave.. wonder what that could be. And I just smiled back and told him to have a nice day.

Opened it up and there was my new/used Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-66 twist not the 1-60 as this is an older rifle. It was in great shape. So I took it down to the cleaning room and cleaned it. Then decided to check the fire channel. And then said... what the heck!!

Put up a target at 25 yards since I had no idea how the rifle shot. Took out some home cast roundball, Schuetzen 2f black powder, pillow tic, and Remington caps. Range finder reminded me I'd moved the bench at it said 28 yards. Amazing little machines these things.

DSCN4556.jpg

For your viewing pleasure...

Anyway, I shot two rounds at 28 yards for starters. Gun fired perfect.

DSCN4553.jpg

So I made an adjustment on how I looked over the sights and shot #3. Ok, a little more.

After I had my spot, I just kept blasting away. It shoots a little left for me, but I will drift that sight in a while.

Then I moved the target back to 50 yards and aimed at that little turkey in the corner of the target. I first held dead center on the little bird.

After seeing that I held to the right. The blue marks show my different POA.

DSCN4554.jpg

So the gun sight needs to be slightly adjusted is all. And I cleaned that rifle up, and it sits on the rifle wall next to the Great Plains Hunter. Nice looking pair.

cayuga said:
That's right, I said Rifle not Hunter. I had shot already today the Staghorn Magnum and had cleaned it. I was just sitting down ready to rest when the door bell rang. It was the mailman.

He had me sign for a box, and commented to me.. kind of heavy Dave.. wonder what that could be. And I just smiled back and told him to have a nice day.

Opened it up and there was my new/used Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-66 twist not the 1-60 as this is an older rifle. It was in great shape. So I took it down to the cleaning room and cleaned it. Then decided to check the fire channel. And then said... what the heck!!

Put up a target at 25 yards since I had no idea how the rifle shot. Took out some home cast roundball, Schuetzen 2f black powder, pillow tic, and Remington caps. Range finder reminded me I'd moved the bench at it said 28 yards. Amazing little machines these things.

DSCN4556.jpg

For your viewing pleasure...

Anyway, I shot two rounds at 28 yards for starters. Gun fired perfect.

DSCN4553.jpg

So I made an adjustment on how I looked over the sights and shot #3. Ok, a little more.

After I had my spot, I just kept blasting away. It shoots a little left for me, but I will drift that sight in a while.

Then I moved the target back to 50 yards and aimed at that little turkey in the corner of the target. I first held dead center on the little bird.

After seeing that I held to the right. The blue marks show my different POA.

DSCN4554.jpg

So the gun sight needs to be slightly adjusted is all. And I cleaned that rifle up, and it sits on the rifle wall next to the Great Plains Hunter. Nice looking pair.

I knew... I just knew thatwas going to be an excellent shooting gun! Darn nice aquistion

Nice rifle/nice shootin'. Green Mountain Barrels has some real nice drop in replacements for my T/C Hawken in 1:70 twist .50 & .54 cal. They're calling to me but I'm tryin' hard to resist :stretch:

I purchased those GMBs for my Renegade. They are great rifles and shoot well. I like the .58 caliber actually just for the hoot of it..

Latest posts

Back