Man in the Wilderness vs. The Revenant

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I saw this on the sister forum and thought it would be interesting here. These movies are about the true story of Hugh Glass in the 1820s trapping with the Ashley Expedition when he is attacked by a bear and left for dead. I have watched both of these movies several times and also read the book that contains historical fact.

Last night I watched Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris again and, other than the music being a little dated and corny, I found it more historically accurate according to the actual story than DiCaprio's The Revenant.

What you guys think?

Never knew there was two movies but I loved the Revenant and have watched it several times.

What’s the book called?

Ive watched The Revenant twice. Its a pretty good action movie. I had never heard of Man In The Wilderness, but its on my ‘To Watch’ list now. I dont think ive seen a Richard Harris movie(other than Harry Potter). I cant recall the songs but i believe he tried to have a singing career back in the 70s.

Im impressed how tough these mountaineers were. At some point you just have to sit there and think man Im having a really bad week or month here. Being cold, froze, hungry, beat up, mauled, infected. At what point do you give up and say come take me Lord. I sure wouldn't have wanted him to be hunting me down. Talk about a lot of built up anger.

When I was a young man my family saw Man in the Wilderness at the drive in in South Burlington.
When the Revenant started advertising I had to look up both movies to be sure one was a remake of the other.
I agree the original is the one to see. But the Revenant shows you how technology has impacted all facets of our lives, with the special effects, et cetera we take as standard now.

When I was a young man my family saw Man in the Wilderness at the drive in in South Burlington.
When the Revenant started advertising I had to look up both movies to be sure one was a remake of the other.
I agree the original is the one to see. But the Revenant shows you how technology has impacted all facets of our lives, with the special effects, et cetera we take as standard now.
Agree with the technology part 100% and it isn't always good. When the fine lady speaks of a "based on a book based on a true story " movie I shudder. I love a good movie as long as what I am watching is believable. I see crap on the screen and sit there wondering how many illiterate fools are seeing this and then go home to try the stuff out.

I've got my Revenant fork and flint in the other room.
But I haven't tried to make a fire with it yet ;)

I've seen them all, but am not a Richard Harrison fan at all. So it would not be a fair comparison on my part.

But I take them for what they are, entertainment. I don't recall either being billed as a documentary.
I watched Perfect Storm again last night, but who's to say that is the way things happened? Good entertainment though.

I saw this on the sister forum and thought it would be interesting here. These movies are about the true story of Hugh Glass in the 1820s trapping with the Ashley Expedition when he is attacked by a bear and left for dead. I have watched both of these movies several times and also read the book that contains historical fact.

Last night I watched Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris again and, other than the music being a little dated and corny, I found it more historically accurate according to the actual story than DiCaprio's The Revenant.

What you guys think?
It's a lot better than the revenant it was to Hollywood i like it don't get my wrong Leo acted his ass off

They butchered the historical aspects of the Revenant but it was still entertaining. For me anything with flintlocks is good.

It might be complete historical drivel but the Patriot is still one of my favourites. That, Jeremiah Johnson and Last of the Mohicans is what got me interested in BP

They butchered the historical aspects of the Revenant but it was still entertaining. For me anything with flintlocks is good.

It might be complete historical drivel but the Patriot is still one of my favourites. That, Jeremiah Johnson and Last of the Mohicans is what got me interested in BP

Great movies.
As is The Big Sky with Kirk Douglas and crew. On TCM now and then.
Love the twist barrel. I gotta get me one of those.

Probably a pretty good depiction of men pulling a boat up a river.
But it is after all a movie. So take it for what it's worth.

Back