Match Ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Almost............

Just finished loading Lane's tubes with 18,364grs of BH209. I may load a few more for reserve, but I'll have more than enough for both the 1,000yd Camp Atterbury match and Friendship. I will shoot a couple, targets only rounds, at Friendship this time around. The Farrell FG-Force rail is holding perfectly, but there's always that Murphy guy..................

Also loaded some SML tubes up also. My favorite IMR8208XBR, then some Benchmark and also some H4895.
Although I have a couple bottles of 4198, I just never use it. One day I'll just make a trade.

In total, 30,385grs. in the tubes.

Good grief my man. You probably hve over $600 just in powder there!
Add your premium bullets and you're easily over $1000.
Good for you...i can't afford that but I bet its a blast.
Yes sir, it gets expensive, and it likely won't get any cheaper. If physically and financially I can, I want to make the shoots that I have left. LOL........ I'm well beyond my prime.

Just in the few days at both Camp Atterbury and then at Friendship, I'll most likely send maybe 150 rounds. That's about $825 in components. Then add 17hrs of round-trip driving, fuel, food, motels, entry fees and..... OUCH!

BUT................ I lost an older sister to 3 different types of cancer back in "19". The one thing she always reminded me of and in every conversation, we had, was that "If there was something you want to do, do it NOW. Tomorrow will always be too late."

Both Camp Atterbury and Friendship are definitely the most fun a muzzleloader shooter will ever have. It doesn't matter rather you're new or seasoned, EVERYONE is willing to help. EVERYONE! Watching a line a quarter mile long full of muzzleloader shooters is a sight to behold. It will amaze a new person the numbers of different muzzleloaders being shot. I watched a young lady, maybe in her early 20's, setting on the concrete shooting a percussion rifle in the darndest position I've seen, and shoot a target as good as a bench shooter!
Its absolutely crazy to watch guys with flints, shooting OFF HAND at 50yds, shooting a large single hole!!
Guys shooting 40# rifles using 200grs of black powder!!!

If you ever get the opportunity, give it a try, or if you don't want to shoot, go watch. There are some unbelievable rifles for sale, about everything you can think of too. There's so much there it would take the whole week to see it all. "Tomorrow might be too late".

Yes sir, it gets expensive, and it likely won't get any cheaper. If physically and financially I can, I want to make the shoots that I have left. LOL........ I'm well beyond my prime.

Just in the few days at both Camp Atterbury and then at Friendship, I'll most likely send maybe 150 rounds. That's about $825 in components. Then add 17hrs of round-trip driving, fuel, food, motels, entry fees and..... OUCH!

BUT................ I lost an older sister to 3 different types of cancer back in "19". The one thing she always reminded me of and in every conversation, we had, was that "If there was something you want to do, do it NOW. Tomorrow will always be too late."

Both Camp Atterbury and Friendship are definitely the most fun a muzzleloader shooter will ever have. It doesn't matter rather you're new or seasoned, EVERYONE is willing to help. EVERYONE! Watching a line a quarter mile long full of muzzleloader shooters is a sight to behold. It will amaze a new person the numbers of different muzzleloaders being shot. I watched a young lady, maybe in her early 20's, setting on the concrete shooting a percussion rifle in the darndest position I've seen, and shoot a target as good as a bench shooter!
Its absolutely crazy to watch guys with flints, shooting OFF HAND at 50yds, shooting a large single hole!!

If you ever get the opportunity, give it a try, or if you don't want to shoot, go watch. There are some unbelievable rifles for sale, about everything you can think of too. There's so much there it would take the whole week to see it all. "Tomorrow might be too late".
You got it , I wish everyone on this page could do it just once, and you haven't even gone through trap and skeet

You got it , I wish everyone on this page could do it just once, and you haven't even gone through trap and skeet
Yup. There's a ton of things that I haven't seen there yet. I'd like to watch the pistol shooting by both the men and the ladies. The woods walk I'd like to see too. So much to see.....

For us uninitiated
Can you expand on the where and what these venues are all about?
Please

We shoot modern inline rifles at Camp Atterbury, IN, just south of Indy and with the BPCR and BP shooters. The modern inline rifles have their own classification. Both the modern inlines and the BPCR and BP shooters, shoot under rules by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA).

Black Powder or substitutes only. No smokeless propellant. Blackhorn 209 is limited to 120grs VOLUME or 84grs WEIGHT.
The Camp Atterbury matches are held in June and September, with June relays being 800yds, 900yds and 1,000yds on Saturday and two relays at 1,000yds on Sunday. In September, you shoot five relays, all at 1,000yds. You MUST be pre-registered to get on the military base. Military grounds speed limits...... DO NOT EXCEED.

Shooting is done from the prone position and with cross sticks, not bipods. No rear support is allowed, other than your off hand. No muzzle brakes. You shoot 10 rounds for score with unlimited sighters with a 30min time limit. Unless there's a physical issue, everyone takes their turn in the pits scoring targets. We use 2-way radios and the score is called back to the line to who may be keeping score for that relay. The person keeping score will record it and also where the shot impacted. You are allowed to take the scores of your LAST three sighters.

Example of my 800yd target score:

1708465476069.jpeg

Normally......................... except for 2024, the NMLRA Championship shoot starts the same weekend as Camp Atterbury, but it lasts the entire week. That's held at Friendship IN. Unfortunately, this year the Camp Atterbury shoot doesn't coincide with Friendship in June. There was a scheduling mix up. In September, it will be held again in conjunction with the Nationals at Friendship.

What I've done is to shoot Atterbury, then leave for Friendship, where I'll spend a couple days.

1708465955102.png

1708466027594.png

1708476543705.jpeg

Last edited:
We shoot modern inline rifles at Camp Atterbury, IN, just south of Indy and with the BPCR and BP shooters. The modern inline rifles have their own classification. Both the modern inlines and the BPCR and BP shooters, shoot under rules by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA).

Black Powder or substitutes only. No smokeless propellant. Blackhorn 209 is limited to 120grs VOLUME or 84grs WEIGHT.
The Camp Atterbury matches are held in June and September, with June relays being 800yds, 900yds and 1,000yds on Saturday and two relays at 1,000yds on Sunday. In September, you shoot five relays, all at 1,000yds. You MUST be pre-registered to get on the military base. Military grounds speed limits...... DO NOT EXCEED.

Shooting is done from the prone position and with cross sticks, not bipods. No rear support is allowed, other than your off hand. No muzzle brakes. You shoot 10 rounds for score with unlimited sighters with a 30min time limit. Unless there's a physical issue, everyone takes their turn in the pits scoring targets. We use 2-way radios and the score is called back to the line to who may be keeping score for that relay. The person keeping score will record it and also where the shot impacted. You are allowed to take the scores of your LAST three sighters.

Example of my 800yd target score:

View attachment 41716

Normally......................... except for 2024, the NMLRA Championship shoot starts the same weekend as Camp Atterbury, but it lasts the entire week. That's held at Friendship IN. Unfortunately, this year the Camp Atterbury shoot doesn't coincide with Friendship in June. There was a scheduling mix up. In September, it will be held again in conjunction with the Nationals at Friendship.

What I've done is to shoot Atterbury, then leave for Friendship, where I'll spend a couple days.

View attachment 41717

View attachment 41718

View attachment 41721

Thank you Sir for your expansion on the match.
Sure sounds like a lot of fun!
To bad there's no smokeless.
I went smokeless because of the cost and availability of subs. The lack of that is.
Sure going to hurt the sports growth.
I can't find any BH209 anywhere. Even if I could afford it.

Back