Meat for the freezer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was invited to hunt on private land this weekend. The owner runs numerous cameras and said that lately only one buck has been showing up during daylight.
I sat all morning on Saturday and saw several does. Back in the box blind in the late afternoon, three does showed up in the field heading towards the feeder.
With only about a hour of hunting time left, I decided to take a fat doe.
The old Handi-Rifle in 280 Remington, dropped her quick.

Attachments

• 20231202_163420.jpg
    12.1 MB · Views: 3
Congratulations on the deer. Good choice on the caliber. I got a .280 in the Encore about 18 years back after shooting my uncles 7 Express. I took a nice Elk in Wichita Mtns Elk hunt and a few deer and pigs on my lease I had near Haywood. I have loaned it a few times to friends that were hunting Elk or deer and it has taken a lot of game. I wish I had kept my Handi Rifle in 243. My friend needed a deer gun for his daughter so I traded it to him, rifle, scope and 50 rounds of hand loaded 95grn Accubonds for a 22 Ruger MK II pistol. We both were happy.
Enjoy the venison. I'm still trying to get a deer with my two tags in KS with my Selfbow and if that doesn't work out, there is always the Holiday season around SW Oklahoma or around Wewoka where my boss lives.
Take care.

Congratulations on your success with the .280. I guess I've killed deer with at least 10 calibers not counting muzzleloaders. I think back and seem to recall a .280 I had in an old Remington. My favorite was and has always been the .250 Sav.

Back