Missing the boat?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Guys CVA just introduced the first electronic ignition on a muzzleloader. It is a done deal. I can see this being much better for our purposes in many ways. Should not be all that hard to incorporate in a smokeless gun. No breechplug design problems, no ventliner issues, no lock time, no charges moving upon initial ignition. Whats not to like?

I'd think an electrical arc or heater would have some potential with BP or subs (due to their relative instability).

My gut tells me that smokeless ignition is as much about the shock wave as it is about the heat. I'll bet Remington's Etronx primers were more blasting cap than heater.

I don't really know...I suppose some experimentor in our midst will have to try it.

I'm not looking forwards to the "Bosch Platinum vs. Champion" threads... :roll:

I can see this being much better for our purposes in many ways. Should not be all that hard to incorporate in a smokeless gun. No breechplug design problems, no ventliner issues, no lock time, no charges moving upon initial ignition. Whats not to like?

..and Dwight I agree 100%. Sounds like a great solution to many of our issues.

I dont know guys. If you make Muzzleloading so easy, what fun will it be? Might as well shoot CF rifles. I think i will stick with 209's and flints. :shock: :)

Remington used an electronic ignition in some of their centerfire rifles a few years ago but the idea never seemed to catch fire with the shooters.

Well for one thing the system by CVA does not use primers, electronic or otherwise. The problem with Remingtons system was cost. You had to buy their factory ammo which was darn expensive and when the electronic primers hit the market for reloaders they were darn expensive too.
With CVA's system once you own it, thats it, no more expense related to the system.
Tom, I hear ya, some guys will want to draw a line somewhere for themselves. That is fine, hunting is a personal sport. I have good friends that archery hunt only with recurves. Fine by me. But my personal preference runs towards performance. I enjoy fast cars, fast rifles, high tech scopes, etc, etc. If I could use a centerfire rifle I would not use a muzzleloader in the first place. The only reason I got in this game was because of Indiana law. I have a great time hunting no matter what I use and since I like gadgets, the coolest gadget makes it that much more fun for me. It is not about trying to make up for ability with gadgets, at least in my case. I pass on many deer every year for one reason or the other. I have killed over 40 with a handgun. No doubt I could tag out with a flinter, I just prefer other stuff.
I think a rail gun would be cool as school and maybe a semi auto crossbow would be nice too. It's a personal matter as long as one is ethical in his approach.

I like the idea there's nothing like the lock up time. However I wonder if it will work with smokeless?

I believe it will take considerably more energy to light smokeless than dry BP. If the energy is available I really like the idea of no vent to worry with but I wonder how long it could last in the chamber? The best thing is probably no primer momentum. But we'll see.

The benifits of electronic ignition is ovious to all of us. My only concern is how reliable it will be. 100% reliabilty would be optimum...but unrealistic.

Would not be my choice for a Mux ox hunt on the Artic circle. There are a great deal of parameters this new system has to pass other wise the internet chatter will negatively impact its potential.

Greg

Well I think it will work as good or better then what we have now. Primers are not 100 percent, I have had bad primers before, not many but there is no such thing as 100 percent. I dont want to beat a dead horse as I think most see the obvious advantage. Right now I am just waiting to see exactly what the CVA design looks like and figure out how to get one and transfer it to a Savage without spending huge dollars.

Latest posts

Back