MK-85 Scope Recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have a deal lined up to buy an Mk-85 on Friday. Assuming it goes through I will be looking for a scope. I currently have a Nikon Monarch 4X40 on my LK-93. I am thinking I might like a little more power. Does anyone have any experience with the Hi-Lux 3-9 Toby Bridges Muzzleloader Scope? I'm not a huge fan a the multi reticule scopes, but the price is right. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

rugerbh103 said:
I have a deal lined up to buy an Mk-85 on Friday. Assuming it goes through I will be looking for a scope. I currently have a Nikon Monarch 4X40 on my LK-93. I am thinking I might like a little more power. Does anyone have any experience with the Hi-Lux 3-9 Toby Bridges Muzzleloader Scope? I'm not a huge fan a the multi reticule scopes, but the price is right. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

It would be my suggestion to pass on the Hi-Lux. I had one on my White and it did not take long to break it. Hi-lux replaced it under warranty. I put the new on the White again but really could never good feeling about it. Sold it long ago...

That is disappointing. Are the Nikon Prostaff's any good? I like my Monarch, but cash is tighter than it used to be.

sabotloader said:
rugerbh103 said:

It would be my suggestion to pass on the Hi-Lux. I had one on my White and it did not take long to break it. Hi-lux replaced it under warranty. I put the new on the White again but really could never good feeling about it. Sold it long ago...
I also had a Hi-Lux on a Triumph and never liked the scope. Replaced it with a Leupold SuperSlam. The other Triumph I have wears a Nikon inline xr. Imo one of the very best bdc scopes on the market. I have never owned the Pro Staff but from what I've read a pretty good scope for the money.

The HiLux has one critical flaw as a ML scope....Horrible eye relief. How TB could promote this scope for ML use is beyond me. The 3.25" is more than likely only at minimum magnification. I really prefer 4.0" of relief on Knights but ive got a couple with around 3.7" that work without cutting me. 5" might be too much for some rifles. It all depends on your mounting options and ring spacing.

Ive got a Nikon Omega (now Inline XR) on a DISC Original and i find it be just barely usable. Im not a fan of its BDC reticule either. Additional lines seem to be less "busy" than additional circles.

I have a ProStaff 3-9x40 that I use on two open breech style rifles with great success on each. Excellent quality glass for the price and very durable shooting lots of heavy lead conicals.

Thanks again. I think I will go the Pro-Staff route. I have had good luck with my other Nikons.

Back