MK85 Elk Load Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and a buddy of mine are heading to Colorado for muzzleloader elk hunts this year. He is going to Unit 76, I will be heading to Unit 61.
I have two of my Renegades sighted in and ready for the trip. My buddy, ever the procrastinator, has not cleared the 20-year-old cobwebs off his Knight MK85 yet. He wants me to help him work up a Colorado, legal elk load. Checking to see if any of you guys hunt Colorado elk with an MK85. If so what load do you use.

He is only concerned with hitting a pie plate with open sights at 100 yards. I shook my head when he told me this. But hey, it's his hunt, money and preference points. The Thors and BoreLocks sound good. But like you said ElDiablo, may be tough to find and get set up this late in the game.
At the moment he already has a scope mounted. We will sight it in and see what shoots the best before removing it and going to the open sights.
As far as I know his gun should be a 1-28 twist????. At least I hope it is. I will probably just pull from my personal bullet stockpile for the time being. I have some 460 grain Bullshop NEX's, No Excuses 460 gr, 350 Hornady FPB's. I even have some of Cecil's discontinued 400 and 450 grain Ultimate Conicals to try.
We will be shooting Swiss 2F with #11 caps.

Last edited:
I have never hunted elk in Colorado but think they die the same in Idaho. I have always used 54ca 420 grain Lyman home cast pure lead conicals in my T/C and never lost an animal. If I cannot double lung them I don't shoot.
After skinning look close at slug holes and it is like looking down your rifle barrel. Lands and grooves can be seen even after breaking a rib or two.

but since it’s conicals only I’d look at a 300 gr Thor or a 350 BOR Lock (tough to find though if you don’t already have some).
These ^^^ or your Hornady 350 Gr. FPBs. Is there reason Not to let him use your TC Omega with BH 209 & 209 Primers on a "Once in a Lifetime Hunt Colorado Hunt"?

These ^^^ or your Hornady 350 Gr. FPBs. Is there reason Not to let him use your TC Omega with BH 209 & 209 Primers on a "Once in a Lifetime Hunt Colorado Hunt"?
Nope, no reason. He’ll be just fine with his Knight MK85 and I’ll be just fine with my Renegade sidelock.
I have several Whites that will be staying home as well.

I have never hunted elk in Colorado but think they die the same in Idaho. I have always used 54ca 420 grain Lyman home cast pure lead conicals in my T/C and never lost an animal. If I cannot double lung them I don't shoot.
After skinning look close at slug holes and it is like looking down your rifle barrel. Lands and grooves can be seen even after breaking a rib or two.
No problem on where to aim or how to kill elk. I have killed a bunch in several states. I think we all know they die the same.
However this thread is about seeing who hunts elk with an MK85 in Colorado and what legal load works for them accuracy wise with that particular gun.

Wasn't trying to clutter your post or disrespect. Just saying IMHO shot placement, accuracy and confidence is vital. In response to the above my MK 85 in .54 loves 120grn 2f behind a hornady 350grn .50 xtp with a purple mmp and a no. 11 cci magnum
You’re good. I wasn’t directing anything towards you.

Wasn't trying to clutter your post or disrespect. Just saying IMHO shot placement, accuracy and confidence is vital. In response to the above my MK 85 in .54 loves 120grn 2f behind a hornady 350grn .50 xtp with a purple mmp and a no. 11 cci magnum
Sounds like you have a good stout load there.
Only thing is, we have to use a full bore conical in Colorado.

I'm not clear on Colorado regulations due to inexperience but I do know it isn't a anything goes kinda state. I can say this though, I was on St. Vincent Island a couple years back on a Sambar dear hunt and one of the most lethal wound channels I ever seen was on a monster stag caused by a plain old hornady great plains .50 out of a original D.I.S.C....closest thing to an elk I ever seen. Giant animal. Big chunk of lead made a hole that looked like you could've stuck a broom stick through it!

Attachments

• 20201120_163939.jpg
    20201120_163939.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201120_163855.jpg
    20201120_163855.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm not clear on Colorado regulations due to inexperience but I do know it isn't a anything goes kinda state. I can say this though, I was on St. Vincent Island a couple years back on a Sambar dear hunt and one of the most lethal wound channels I ever seen was on a monster stag caused by a plain old hornady great plains .50 out of a original D.I.S.C....closest thing to an elk I ever seen. Giant animal. Big chunk of lead made a hole that looked like you could've stuck a broom stick through it!
You got me nostalgic there, not used to seeing Sambar shot outside Australia!

Sorry for my goof. I had just read the posts about what bullets for elk, then read this one. Got side tracked for a few minutes and this old thing on my shoulders forgot where I was. Duh me.

So I got a chance to clean up my buddy's gun and shoot it yesterday. Did not take long to find a decent load. I will be doing some more tweaking but happy with results for now.
The current load is 80 gr of 3f Swiss, 460 gr .501 No Excuses conical with a wool wad. 3/4'' group with the scope on at 50 yds.
1.5'' group with open sites. We will get it out again and see how it does at 100 yds.
My buddy had the gun stored away and totally slathered in grease . Took a while to clean it up and get it ready. His nipple and other possibles were in a box that got hit with mildew and moisture from over the years sitting in his basement. The nipple was 80 percent pitted and rusted. No problem I thought. I have plenty of other .250 x 28 nipples to replace it. Problem is, none of the .250 x 28 nipples I had would fit. Too big, would not screw in. I got on-line to reassure I was using the right size nipples. Apparently, It was. It said to use a .250 x 28 nipple. I cleaned up the old nipple best I could, and it screwed into the breech plug, no problem. I just wasn't comfortable shooting the gun with that old pitted up nipple. I went through my old nipples tray and tried every old nipple I had and finally found one that would fit.
I measured all the nipple thread diameters with my digital caliper. The two nipples that fit the breech measured around .229 at the outside of the threads. All the .250 x 28 nipples measured about .249 and would not fit.
Is anyone familiar with the MK85 nipples? Are these nipples special sized that you need to buy somewhere special?
Thanx for any help or advice.

Last edited:
Way off the topic but if I was you guys I'd take two fully preped rifles each. Heck, I hunt only a couple hours from home and if it's overnight I take two.
I’m with you Longcruise.
Thats why I will be taking (2) Renegades with me. Both set up exactly the same. Same peep sight, same load and powder charge.
My buddy on the other hand is a different story. He has had decades to get ready for this hunt and could care less. I finally got his MK85 set up for him. He is getting tennis ball size groups at 100 yds with open sights. Much better than he was hoping for. As far as back up gun for him, he has none. His choice.
You can lead a horse to water………. Well you know the rest.

Back