MK85 help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz12

Reaction score
My buddy gifted me his MK85 .54cal because he hasn't used it in years (20ish years) and his health is not what it used to be. Near as I can tell it uses No11 caps and I will be looking into the 209 conversion. Is the conversion a good or bad idea?

Knight does not have anything or very little available for the .54 but I plan on calling them in the morning and getting whatever they have since I need everything as far as maintenance goes.

I need to start playing with different loads so any advice will be welcome. It has a 24" barrel but I haven't checked the twist rate yet. Eventually I will get a mold to cast my own bullets and or balls and probably play with sabots just to see how they act. Is there any weight or style they like or dont like?

EDIT- I'm also curious about the ramrod, it goes into the barrel all the way, shinning a flashlight down there it looks like there is a hollow point lead round in there. No light comes through and I will hit it with an air compressor tomorrow to clear the barrel. But with a round in there, should the ramrod sink below the muzzle? In the stored position it is flush with the end of the muzzle.

Last edited:
Hello & welcome. Your questions have likely been covered here many times already. The search function is definitely your friend. Some will advise against use of 209's in plunger guns due to chance of it becoming a projectile upon firing. A quick glance on knight's website looks like they probably have the parts you seek but definitely call them & make sure of what you need. Purple mmp sabot with speer 325 unicore is a great combo but good luck finding any nowadays.

If you have or can find #11 caps, the gun will work fine, but if you only have or can find 209 primers, the gun will function fine with them too.

If you think the gun is loaded, pull the breech plug and check, but if the ramrod goes all the way in, I would guess it’s not. Either way, on a gun you don’t know, it‘s always a good idea to pull the plug and check. Better safe than sorry.

Congrats on your new acquisition! :lewis:

Hello & welcome. Your questions have likely been covered here many times already. The search function is definitely your friend. Some will advise against use of 209's in plunger guns due to chance of it becoming a projectile upon firing. A quick glance on knight's website looks like they probably have the parts you seek but definitely call them & make sure of what you need. Purple mmp sabot with speer 325 unicore is a great combo but good luck finding any nowadays.
I did a quick search but what I found was years and years old, I was hoping to find up to date info.

I’ll look into the Speer sabots

If you have or can find #11 caps, the gun will work fine, but if you only have or can find 209 primers, the gun will function fine with them too.

If you think the gun is loaded, pull the breech plug and check, but if the ramrod goes all the way in, I would guess it’s not. Either way, on a gun you don’t know, it‘s always a good idea to pull the plug and check. Better safe than sorry.

Congrats on your new acquisition! :lewis:
I have some 11’s and the 209’s have been in stock locally for some time now.

The plug was rusted in and after soaking overnight in a few drops of wd40 it looks much better. I will buy a nipple wrench and look for a screwdriver that will work effectively.

I'd probably try 209's if that's all I had access to. The slotted breech plug tool is on knight's site & they're real proud of it haha. The speer is just a component bullet. Barnes offers pre-packaged combos. There are a few options out there for conicals as well.

Last edited:
I'd probably try 209's if that's all I had access to. The slotted breech plug tool is on knight's site & they're real proud of it haha. The speer is just a component bullet. Barnes offers pre-packaged combos. There are a few options out there for conicals as well.
WOW, they are proud of that tool!!! I'll figure something out though

Does anyone know where to get MK85 parts or tools or anything .54 related?

Last edited:
At one point in time I swapped out my knights and my older t/c rifles for 209 conversions..I ended up going back to the #11s…2 of the rifles the accuracy changed quite a bit and I didn’t have time that season to work uo another load with the 209s and the other 2 I honestly just got tired of the debri all over the scopes..I will look tonight I may still have a plunger for 209s in a knight.

I have switched to musket caps for my plungers because I found a source with ample supply. But if you have a #11 and can find caps Id stay with that. They will work fine if you do your part.

Im prepping an LK-93 in 54 cal to be my pop and flop gun. Have chosen the Barnes Expanders in 325 grain.

Of course it's a personal preference thing but I also like the small amount of space a #11 capper holding several caps occupies & how easy it is to use when my fingers are cold/numb.

The breach plug remover (flat tip) came in today and that thing is not budging!! I've been soak it from both sides with Kroil for a week or so. I tapped on the end with a hammer while trying to turn it and got nothing. My next idea was to remove the stock and use a small torch to heat it up but I dont want to destroy or warp the barrel. Do any of you have some tips or trick to getting it out?

Sounds like that bad boy is lodged good. Maybe a battery powered impact with extensions & a big fat slotted bit on the end? Williams has a relatively cheap slide-in replacement f/o sight set if your rear sight happens to say williams on the side.

I probably have 100 slotted bits but none that big. Maybe a heat gun before a torch??

Yes its a williams sight and I'm working on getting stuff shipped to the lower 48 and then up to me

Latest posts

Back