Monster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayles

Reaction score
Arrowed a 8 point that will go 150 inches tonite. I quit tracking at dark. sure hope the coyotes don't get him before me in the morning
Wish me luck
Wayles

One that size, I am not sure I could have waited until morning. Although sometimes that is the best way. If you don't push them they will often not go too far, lay down, and stiffen up right there. Good luck in the morning.

wayles said:
Arrowed a 8 point that will go 150 inches tonite. I quit tracking at dark. sure hope the coyotes don't get him before me in the morning
Wish me luck
Wayles
Wayles how did you make out. Hope you recovered him.
Frank

Sad to say I did not get the deer . Tracked till dark about 300 yds, Stuck the bloody arrow in the blood, came back in the morning at good light and trailed another 300 yds. Blood gradually petered out. Did grid searches the rest of the day till dark. Don't know where I hit the deer , heard the arrow strike a limb and seen leaves shake so it was a deflect. Arrow went thru deer and stuck in ground. No coyotes or crows acting up. I hope he's still on his feet. BUMMER!
Me and daughter took two really good deer center fire at the same place. Lookin forward to Muzzleloader which starts Dec 1 and runs till end of dec.
Wayles

WOW! I feel for you. I hate to admit but i have lost quite a few deer in my bowhunting career but none have been trophys. It really hurts to miss but it hurts even more to know you drew blood and are not sure of the shot. Just last week I got to witness how a deer can be lost even with a good shot. It was 10am. I shot a doe at 12 yards. It only ran about 10 yards then acted like nothing happened. I watched it lay down about 40 yards from my stand. I thought it was done, boy was I wrong. Rather than get down and attempt to put another arrow in her I decided to wait her out. I can not beleive how long she lived. 2 hours later she was still head up on high alert. 15 minutes later she started kicking. It took a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. The shot was through the center of the liver. If I had shot her in the evening I would have lost her for sure because there was almost no blood trail and after waiting my half hour I would have pushed her into the next county thinking she ha to be dead by now!
Sorry to hear about your deer, maybe you just grazed him?
Frank

Latest posts

Back