Muzzle Newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamac75

Reaction score
Hi I’m Shannon. I’m new to hunting and new to a muzzle loader I just inherited from my dad. I’ve been watching a lot of videos but I’m confused on the caliber size. The gun I have has a .50 and a .45 caliber barrels. Bullets I have bought say .50 caliber but .45 bullet size. Does this mean the sabot is .50 and I should use in the .50 barrel but the actual bullet is only a .45? Please help me understand.

Welcome from Colorado!

Yes - if you’re using a saboted bullet in your .50 then the bullet will likely be either .45 or .44 (.429”).

A saboted bullet in a .45 rifle will likely be .40 bullet.

What is the make and model of your rifle?

Welcome from Colorado!

Yes - if you’re using a saboted bullet in your .50 then the bullet will likely be either .45 or .44 (.429”).

A saboted bullet in a .45 rifle will likely be .40 bullet.

What is the make and model of your rifle?
Hi thanks!!! It’s a Hunterbolt Magnum. I just changed out the .45 barrel for the .50. Supplies seem a bit easier to find.

Hi thanks!!! It’s a Hunterbolt Magnum. I just changed out the .45 barrel for the .50. Supplies seem a bit easier to find.
Yes, .50 cal sabots and .45 cal bullets are prob the easiest to find. When you get into it a little more you can save money and Taylor your loads by buying sabots and bullets separately.

Welcome from western NY.Don't be afraid to reach out to a local sportsman club for some hands on help.You have started off right by reaching out here.Where ya located?There may be a forum member that is near by to mentor you.

Hi I’m Shannon. I’m new to hunting and new to a muzzle loader I just inherited from my dad. I’ve been watching a lot of videos but I’m confused on the caliber size. The gun I have has a .50 and a .45 caliber barrels. Bullets I have bought say .50 caliber but .45 bullet size. Does this mean the sabot is .50 and I should use in the .50 barrel but the actual bullet is only a .45? Please help me understand.

Yes, .50 cal sabots and .45 cal bullets are prob the easiest to find. When you get into it a little more you can save money and Taylor your loads by buying sabots and bullets separately.
Thank you for the info. I actually shot the rifle for the first time of this past weekend. I was surprised at how hard it was to start the bullet and sabot into the muzzle. Any pointers on that or suggestions or something I might be doing wrong.

try something other than a sabot & bullet.or a smaller diameter sabot or a full size bullet or conical.Not all bore sizes are the same diameter.Maybe someone in the forum that shoots the same gun can tell what works best for them.

Back