Muzzle tpi opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m having a pre-fit barrel made for my Savage 110 7mm mag. The muzzle is going to finish at .650. I can’t decide on the tpi to choose for the threading for a muzzle. I was leaning towards 9/16-28 but I’ve been seeing a lot of brake manufacturers only offer 9/16-24. Would they be compatible being close to the same tpi?
Should I just stick with a smaller tpi such as 1/2-28 or larger like 5/8-24? All input is appreciated.

I’m having a pre-fit barrel made for my Savage 110 7mm mag. The muzzle is going to finish at .650. I can’t decide on the tpi to choose for the threading for a muzzle. I was leaning towards 9/16-28 but I’ve been seeing a lot of brake manufacturers only offer 9/16-24. Would they be compatible being close to the same tpi?
Should I just stick with a smaller tpi such as 1/2-28 or larger like 5/8-24? All input is appreciated.
If you want to have the same dia brake as your muzzle, then the smallest of them ( 1/2"-28 ) would be the way to go. If you are going to use a larger dia brake, then use as large dia threads on your muzzle ( 5/8"-28 ) is what you want to do.

The problem with the 9/16xXX threading is that it is closer to a euro spec than american for muzzle threads, and so actually getting a direct mount suppressor, etc. may be harder/more expensive.

I'd go with 5/8x24 which is "standard" threading for US 30 caliber stuff. While 1/2x28 may work for sufficient hold, etc. that is the standard threading for 22 caliber muzzle devices (cans, flash suppressors, muzzle breaks, whatever) and I'd hate to see someone assume "hey it threads on, we're good to go" ....

5/8x24 tpi the 1/2 x28 is basically .224 spec threading. The quantity of mz brakes for 5/8" pattern is definitely greater for 7mm. That being said find the brake first then cut the thread.

Currently interested in tactical but I’m not dead set on it and am open to a radial brake.
Personally, I'd go tactical. Radials don't reduce as much recoil as a tactical. Radials present a problem shooting prone, with dirt flying everywhere.
Having had and used both, tactical is the way I'd go.

Use the largest barrel stub diameter that is possible.

Many "self-timing" brakes are now available that you can add yourself.

Use the minimum pressure needed to keep the brake in place and use LocTite.

It is easy to bend the barrel stub if you try to force a muzzle brake to go where you want it without self-timing. You do not want the bullet taking a curve right at the end of the barrel.

Thank you all for all the info and suggestions/advice. Greatly appreciated. I’m glad I asked because there’s more to consider than I thought. One of the main reasons I asked this question was because the barrel I wanted has a muzzle diameter of .650 and I requested the tpi to be 5/8-24 and I received an email saying that a .650 diameter would be really pushing the limit for a 5/8-24 tpi. So I asked what the recommended minimum diameter would be for 5/8-24 and was told “at least .600” so I was confused about why .650 would be pushing it.

It shouldn't be 5/8x24 is .625" shank before you thread it on a lathe. I know this I have done several. This thread pattern is standard for 6.mm,7 mm, 30 cal, and what not. I don't believe that they recommend the 11/16 or 3/4" thread pattern until 458 caliber.

Back