muzzloader newbie CVA BuckHorn basics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacnstac

Reaction score
What all do I need before I start shooting? Does firing 3 of the 209 primers through the gun before putting an actual load in it, remove the original gun oil or do I have to do a full cleaning before shooting?

If I use pyrodex pellets what is the best cleaner for those? How many shots can I shoot before the barrel needs to be cleaned when I am sighting it in?

:D :D
First off welcome to the camp fire :!: . The fire is always light :!: :!: :!: I can tell you from my own first hand knowledge. I used to use Pyrodex pellets and Remington STS primers and all I had was allot of cleaning, crud/burn ring. Couldn't seat the second bullet without cleaning my CVA ACCURA. I switched to American Pioneer Powder GOLD and went to Remington Kleanbore Primers and now I shoot, shoot and shoot. After about the 3rd shot I swab with a damp patch and continue to shoot. I really like to shoot and now cleaning is no problem either.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CVA AND HAVE A GREAT SEASON :!: :!: :!:
I forgot to mention that american pioneer powder cleans up with water.

Before you load and shoot for the first time, take a patch and apply some isopropyl alcohol on it. Then swab the bore. This will remove the oil from the bore. Then dry patch the bore. Next put a clean dry patch on the jag and push that down to the breech plug. Now pop a 209 primer. It should blow that patch almost back onto the rod, and it will clean the breech plug of oil.

When your shooting, depending on the kind of powder you shoot... For the best accuracy, swab the bore between shots. Take some Windex. Lightly spritz a patch. Swab the bore. Then a couple dry patches. Then load as normal. This will make all the shots more consistent and add to the accuracy of the rifle.

If you are shooting APP, Pinnacle, Black Mag, and Buckhorn 209 (although your rifle is not designed to shoot Buckhorn) you do not need to swab between shots. Only once in a while if you feel the accuracy is starting to suffer. I've shot 12 rounds off with APP and never swabbed the bore.

If your shooting Pyrodex or Triple Seven and black powder, you do need to swab between shots for the best accuracy possible. Granted you can shoot more then one round, but you will feel the rifle getting harder and harder to load. There is no need to break the rifle down and do a complete cleaning of the rifle when on the range.. Just swab the bore.

Seems like the more answers I get, the more questions I come up with. Since you must use anti-sieze on the breech, won't that anti-seize tend to work it's way up and down the barrel when you pull the breach plug to clean the muzzle?

Also I'll open a big can of worms here and ask what is the best cleaner to use when you are done shooting and what is the best barrel protection for this gun? Somehow it just doesn't seem right to me to take a non-stainless barrel and dunk it in soapy water.

wacnstac said:
Seems like the more answers I get, the more questions I come up with. Since you must use anti-sieze on the breech, won't that anti-seize tend to work it's way up and down the barrel when you pull the breach plug to clean the muzzle?

Also I'll open a big can of worms here and ask what is the best cleaner to use when you are done shooting and what is the best barrel protection for this gun? Somehow it just doesn't seem right to me to take a non-stainless barrel and dunk it in soapy water.

I actually Teflon tape the threads of the breech plug and then a very light coat of anti seize. It will not work itself into the barrel. And you only pull the breech plug at the end of the day when you clean it.

As for the best cleaner, there are lots of them. Windex will work, 409, Simple Green, soap and water, Butch's Bore Shine, Birchwood Casey #77, just about anything.

Now if your shooting BlackHorn 209 you have to use solvent to clean the barrel. But most of the powders will clean with simple soap and water. After your done swabbing out the fouling and have a nice clean barrel, put some isopropyl alcohol on a patch and swab the barrel with it. Alcohol displaces water. After that dry patch the barrel until the patches are dry. Then I use a high quality gun oil like Montana X-treme gun oil, Birchwood Casey Sheath, Rem Oil with Teflon... etc. Just put some of that on a patch and swab the bore good. That is all you need for protection.

wacnstac said:

"I actually Teflon tape the threads of the breech plug and then a very light coat of anti seize. " +1

"Somehow it just doesn't seem right to me to take a non-stainless barrel and dunk it in soapy water."

You don't have to dunk it Just run cleaning paches through it with the cleaner of choice till clean,then wipe the out side down then oil it good.

I have a CVA Kodiak Pro it takes me about 30 min to clean it along with my wifes 9mm. Thats brakeing them both down and reasemble them.

i clean up my muzzleloading guns using Windex with vinegar. This is the clear Windex. Windex with vinegar eats up all types of BP and BP residue and crud. It takes me about ten minutes to completely clean my inline guns. After the bore is clean i wet a patch with Rem Oil or Militec 1 and swab the bore with that.

Do not forget to swab the bore with a patch and alcohol before loading.

Many of the cowboy action guys also use Windex with vinegar to clean their guns.

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen3.html

I still don't know if you need a nipple for a buckhorn mag. for a 209 primer. it seems to me like you're putting it in backwards, the powder part is pointed toward the firing pin. please help, thanks Larry

Latest posts

Back