Ammunition Question - New to Muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle122

Reaction score
HI, I'm new to muzzloading and am excited for the hunting season coming up. I have a CVA Optima V2 and haven't shot it yet. Scope is bore sighted, but need to go to the range to really sight it in.

I bought Federal Premium 209MZ primers, White Hots, and 245Gr .50cal Powerbelt Bullets. Will this combo work well together? I've heard something about different primers for different types of black powders.

How many white hots could I add? 2? 3?

How often should I do a full clean of the gun?

TIA

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

You can start with 2 pellets to see how accuracy is. Then try the three.

As for cleaning, you'll likely need to wipe the barrel after each shot while using the whitehots, just a damp patch down and back twice will do it. Always fully clean the gun as soon as possible after shooting.

Clean that gun only on days that end in Y, if you shot it at all. Like MrTom said, Start with 2 pellets and see how it does then try 3 pellets. You may find that somewhere between the two is best accuracy, thats why many of us use loose powder. But some get best accuracy with pellets. Try everything.

HI, I'm new to muzzloading and am excited for the hunting season coming up. I have a CVA Optima V2 and haven't shot it yet. Scope is bore sighted, but need to go to the range to really sight it in.

I bought Federal Premium 209MZ primers, White Hots, and 245Gr .50cal Powerbelt Bullets. Will this combo work well together? I've heard something about different primers for different types of black powders.

How many white hots could I add? 2? 3?

How often should I do a full clean of the gun?

TIA
Every muzzleloader is different. You’ll have to try different powders, pellets and bullets to see which loads work best in your gun. Shoot your gun often and clean it well after every outing.

Welcome from S.Ohio! Do a search here on the forum for your Optima and you'll find anything that you need to get your muzzleloader ready for hunting! If you can't find what you are looking for just ask! Great forum with a bunch of great guys who are willing to share information and help you out!

Welcome. That should work for u. I would get several bullets and try. Some other bullets too look at.
Hornady
290 gr bore driver
250 gr sst
240 gr xtp

Barnes bullets
Traditions bullets
Thor bullets

I have a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. The groups it shoots with Hornady 250gr and 290gr bullets is unreal.

Welcome from Oregon by way of Hawaii. Clean your rifle after use and again before you store it. Wipe it down often.

Work up a 50 - then afterwards a 100 yard target using two pellets. I would start with the 240gr bullet. I've used the same Federal primers for years. Winchester and CCI-M (mag) primers too. These hotter primers are better suited with your White Hots powder....... my opinion anyways.

I've switched the past couple years from Blackhorn looseto White Hots pellets. Maybe next fall - when you gain more experience with muzzleloading, then toy with three pellets at whatever range (indoors or outdoors) that you choose.

Last edited:
Work up your powder load to projectile and rifle barrel, I do not do the copper jacket failures I stick soft lead and sabot T/C Cheap shots. I have tried the 320 Grain LEE R.E.A.L with 9/16 wad from felt with great success this year. Again it is soft lead.

Back