My encore looks so lonely...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I think it needs a friend. :D I'm thinking of either a percussion T/C Renegade or a Lyman Deerstalker in 50 caliber. Any thoughts on these two guns? I have to able to cut the stock down to my length of pull, so guns with the curved buttplates are out of the question. I'm thinking of a short quick-pointing carbine for thick woods and swampy places. This will be my first "traditional" muzzleloader. Thanks in advance.

I would go with the T/C Renegad1" flat octogonal,1/48",26" barrel, this is a very good rifle in .50 cal.You cannot ask for better

doegirl said:
I think it needs a friend. :D I'm thinking of either a percussion T/C Renegade or a Lyman Deerstalker in 50 caliber. Any thoughts on these two guns? I have to able to cut the stock down to my length of pull, so guns with the curved buttplates are out of the question. I'm thinking of a short quick-pointing carbine for thick woods and swampy places. This will be my first "traditional" muzzleloader. Thanks in advence.

Wow.. that is a hard choice because both of them are great rifles. I personally would go with the Thompson Center Renegade. I think in the long run you will have less problems with it, and it will tune in faster.

Also the Renegade is a straight end stock solid stock, without a monte carlo or cheek piece addition. It would be easy to cut off. The Lyman Rifles likes to curve the butt plates.

Something you might want to do doegirl is check the auction site for a T/C White Mountain Carbine. These had a short pull on the stock, a shorter barrel, you can get a Green Mountian Drop in barrel 21"s long with a 1:28 twist for shooting conicals and sabots out of it, and should be an excellent short range (or long range for that matter) brush rifle for you.

But of the two you mention, I just really like the Renegades. I would go with that one. In .54 caliber if you can find one. I do want to state though, Lyman makes an excellent rifle without question. I have a Lyman flintlock Trade rifle that is a fantastic shooter. It has a 1:48 twist, will shoot roundball, conical, even powerbelts with great accuracy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53812256

here is another option. The New Englander is not as heavy to carry as the Renegade. This one says excellent condition, fiber optic sights have been added, and it is .54 caliber so a roundball is all you need in the brush. These also have a straight end on the stock with no cheek piece and are great shooters.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53437605

Another New Englander in .50 caliber. The pictures show, you take the butt plate off and you could trim it. Also this is a no reserve rifle meaning everyone is going to hold out until the last minute and try and get the rifle for next to nothing. Notice they are bidding in very small amounts. If you watch this auction you might get a traditional rifle real cheap with the life time T/C guarantee behind it...

good luck

cayuga said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53812256

here is another option. The New Englander is not as heavy to carry as the Renegade. This one says excellent condition, fiber optic sights have been added, and it is .54 caliber so a roundball is all you need in the brush. These also have a straight end on the stock with no cheek piece and are great shooters.

after reading over his sale, I think I'd pass on this one. He is over charging the shipping fee to make extra profit and he demands a FFL dealer to ship to. They usually charge an additional $35.00 and are not necessary in most states for a black powder rifle sale. So when you add a total of $60.00 to the sale price, your over $200.00 for the thing.

i would do as cayuga says and scan the auction sites (auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com) for older t/c rifles. the new englander and the renegade will probably shoot about the same, but the stock designs are a little different. the new englander has more drop in the stock. also, the new englander has a round barrel. the white mountain carbine is a octagonal-to-round barrel. the renegade and new englander both have 26" barrels (unless you get a rynite-stocked new englander or a greyhawk). white mountain carbine has a 21" barrel. there are two types of renegades, one with double-set triggers, and one with a single trigger. (i have the double-set version, which is very nice).

new englanders all have a single triggers. my uncle's new englander, manufactured in the late 70's, has a rather poor trigger pull (but tolerable). my greyhawk (a stainless new englander), manufactured in the early to mid 90's, has an outstanding trigger pull.

.54 can shoot a larger roundball that carries more punch, if you are planning on hunting with roundballs. otherwise, a .50 provides more bullet options. i have a renegade in .54 which shoots strictly roundballs. also have the above-mentioned greyhawk (same thing as a new englander, except it has a 24" barrel, is stainless steel, and has a rynite stock) in .50. got both of these rifles for really good prices

Hi
The renegade is a fine rifle. I've been shootin mine for over 20 yrs .The 1 in 48 likes the .50 360 gr. maxie balls and shoots extremly well but beware of the recoil when useing the heavy bullets. The gun is a little barrel heavy from the offhand position but it carries well over a long day in colorado . You might want the satisfaction of puting together a kit gun. Its easy to do and you can put a much better finish on the fine walnut stock than comes with the factory job.My renegade has an encore for a stablemate
Wayles

For the best of both worlds take a look at the RMC Accusporter Sidelocks. You can throw the same bullets that you use in your Encore.
I bot one of RMC fast twist 1-28 bbls. A fine company to deal with plus I know many who have bot their sidelocks & love them!!

The Best of Both Worlds.

The RMC Accusporter LTD has all the features of the RMC Accusporter, plus a removable breech plug and EC Load System. Our gun combines a 1:28 twist Green Mountain Barrel with an L & R Lock which is hand fitted into a classic wood laminated stock. Added features include: a precision located lock assembly to assure a perfect fit between the lock and the barrel, all metal fiber optic sights and a touch hole alignment that is in the optimum position for reliable, fast ignition. The removable breech plug will make cleaning a breeze with the Accusporter LTD, and easy to remove those ?stuck? loads. The new EC Load System makes loading conical and sabot style bullets easy. The relieved barrel bore allows easy insertion of the bullet into the barrel, and provides positive alignment when starting the bullet. A custom made, quality gun which is made in America. Available in right or left hand models and 24 & 28 inch barrel lengths. Includes hard guncase.

ltd.jpg

Thanks guys, good information here. 8) I never considered a .54 for roundball shooting. I was assuming that I'm going to shoot conicals in the sidelock. I did have a A+H Mountain Rifle in Flintlock on layaway for a while.
I thought better of it, and decided not to purchase the gun. So I guess my preference is for my first sidelock is that it can shoot conicals.

doegirl said:
Thanks guys, good information here. 8) I never considered a .54 for roundball shooting. I was assuming that I'm going to shoot conicals in the sidelock. I did have a A+H Mountain Rifle in Flintlock on layaway for a while.
I thought better of it, and decided not to purchase the gun. So I guess my preference is for my first sidelock is that it can shoot conicals.

Well I have a Renegade with a Green Mountain Drop in barrel with a 1:28 twist. The same as your encore. These barrels are the same you will find on a Knight Rifle. This stainless steel drop in barrel is an excellent sabot shooter.

If you wanted a conical shooter, then look for a sidelock that has a 1-32 or 1-38 twist. On the gun auction I picked up a NIB CVA Stalker Carbine with a 1-32 twist for $100.00 . Load a maxiball in it, and this thing is deadly...

There are some other traditional rifles that claim to shoot sabots and conicals well. The renegades will shoot conicals very well, but never underestimate the power of the .54 caliber roundball. Also they are inexpensive to shoot and just a lot of fun to see what you can make the rifle do...

Good luck with your search. A flintlock is cool. Once you learn to knapp and not flinch.. :D

Back