My new Flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My new Flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber

Another thing you can do Mike is open up your touch hole. If you havent done that already. I use 3f in mine and have opened up the touch hole. You will get various recommendations on that but I like to see around a 1/16 on an inch. Al

BigAl52 said:
Another thing you can do Mike is open up your touch hole. If you havent done that already. I use 3f in mine and have opened up the touch hole. You will get various recommendations on that but I like to see around a 1/16 on an inch. Al
I was just having that exact conversation with a mate of mine tonight, i'm thinking i'll be doing that! ;)

An update for all you lovely people out there! :D

I got bored and took that as a good excuse to head to the range again this afternoon.

I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference between .010 and .015 patch material.

I was shooting from the bench at 25 meters, using 60 grains of 2F powder as the main charge and about 1/3 of a pan of 4F for the ignition. I wiped between shots and weighed all my .490 projectiles to within a grain of each other.  

My point of aim was the bulls-eye.

In my first batch, during which i tested the .010 patches, i fired nine shots of which one was an obvious flinch (its under the brick to the right of the shot) so i disregarded it.

As you can see from the top photo, i'm to the right of the point of aim with about a 7 cm group. Now the fact that three of those shots are touching makes me think that this crappy group is shooter error.

The second group in the bottom picture was using the .015 patch material and again resulted in a 7 cm group. and again was to the right of the point of aim.

Any thoughts gents?

img_5015.jpg

img_5016.jpg

Mike I am thinking it will take  good few shots to break in the bore, bit like what I am doing with my FBG. Did you open up your touch hole? if not I should have some bits for that, by the way am home tomorrow morning, so we could catch up later this week.  The other thing worth a try, hold the forend instead of gripping the stock how you do. I found just resting the barrel on the rest without holding it there never worked for me. You may need a super heavy barrel for that technique. Your rifle is grouping constantly with either patch by the looks. 
cheers 

Gordon

if you rest your barrel on a hard rest that will make your groups open up, lay forearm on a rolled up towel with your hand under it on towel so gun can recoil like it should,should help close them up and will more then likely move your groups over.

heelerau said:
Mike I am thinking it will take  good few shots to break in the bore, bit like what I am doing with my FBG. Did you open up your touch hole? if not I should have some bits for that, by the way am home tomorrow morning, so we could catch up later this week.  The other thing worth a try, hold the forend instead of gripping the stock how you do. I found just resting the barrel on the rest without holding it there never worked for me. You may need a super heavy barrel for that technique. Your rifle is grouping constantly with either patch by the looks. 
cheers 

Gordon
Morning mate,

I haven't opened up the touch hole yet, I was going to wait until you got back. Also I want to talk to you about coning the muzzle too! Also do you have a 10-32 tap at yours?

Yeah the grouping looks about the same for me as well.

I'm wondering how many shots i'll have to put through it before she settles down, I've seen 100 shots is kind of the magic number.

I've got to admit i was thinking about my resting style last night and wondering if that was affecting my follow through (which is **** at the moment in my opinion).

dbowling said:
if you rest your barrel on a hard rest that will make your groups open up, lay forearm on a rolled up towel with your hand under it on towel so gun can recoil like it should,should help close them up and will more then likely move your groups over.
I'll give it a try, cheers bud!

Mike did you happen to take a look at both patches to see if there was one that looked better than the other. I dont use anything less that a .015 patch for myself.

BigAl52 said:
Mike did you happen to take a look at both patches to see if there was one that looked better than the other. I dont use anything less that a .015 patch for myself.
No I didn’t, that was a bit of a rookie error in hindsight.

Hey all,

Well this looks promising.  :)

.490 ball
.010 patch
90 grains of 2F 
wiping between shots

The end result was a 1.5" group.  :D

Needless to say i'll be adjusting the front sights when i go to the range on Thursday.

(Ignore the bulls-eye, i was just seeing if i could use Kentucky windage to put the ball where i wanted it and obviously i did!). 

img_5017.jpg

Mike there you go ! See you Thursday !

heelerau said:
Mike there you go ! See you Thursday !
For sure mate, just bring your brass punch! :)

Afternoon gents, 

The saga continues.

.490 ball
.010 patch
90 grains of 2F 
wiping between shots

Today was all about going down the range with Heelerau, making some noise, blowing some smoke, shooting some lead and drifting the rear sight over and getting the damn thing hitting roughly on the point of aim. ;)

So on that score it was mission accomplished!  :D

Now I just need to work on beating the flinch, work on my follow through, maybe play around with the patching thickness and possibly we will see some decent groups too!

img_5018.jpg

Mate, good day all round, pretty happy with my FBG , Dave did well with his two bander.   You got the  ignition with your rifle sorted, and zeroed in. Now just a bit of tweeking, as  you have said with patches, lube and the like. :Red tup:
Cheers 

Heelerau

Well I couldn't raise the point of impact by playing with the charge, so I took the plunge and took a file to the front sight of my rifle.

It only took about 20 strokes of the file to lift the POI about six inches.

All the shots were in the black (just) but I am now happy with the elevation and windage. :)

Now all I have to do is work on my technique to tighten the group, time will tell. ;)

img_5310.jpg

See, wasn't so bad after all !

heelerau said:
See, wasn't so bad after all !
Mate, you should have seen me twitching as i started filing..... *shudder*

Hey Mate, when are you going to stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man.  :slaps:   :hats off:

Decent groupings, Mike. If you are shooting supported on the bench, it is possible the consistent grouping to the right of the bullseye just requires a tap on the front sight to move it slightly.
I. too, had a problem with an otherwise excellent flintlock having flashes in the pan. A drilled out flash hole and all was remedied,
Ron

Back