My new Flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in Oz

Reaction score
My new Flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber

G'day mates,

Well the saga is over, after three months of being buggered around by the clowns at firearms licensing I finally took possession of my flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber.

I was so excited I went straight to the range, gave the girl a good scrub and went for a shoot.

I was pretty confident in my abilities after shooting for most of my life and using a caplock for the last two years but the flintlock has so much going on!

I got lots of failures to fires and flashes in the pan and had to fiddle with the flint repeatedly to get it to work and i discovered the importance of a clean frizzen. 

Anyway I only had time for five shots using 50 grains of 2F pushing a .490 ball wrapped in a .010 greased patch out to 25 meters.

But i'm pretty happy so far.

Re: My new Flintlock Pedersoli Alamo .50 caliber

A .440 ball and .010 patch is a very loose fit in a 50 caliber gun.  I suggest a .490 with .o15 patch to start off with.  Also, you might try some 3f if you have it.  I have had better results with 3f in 50 cal guns using loads of less than 65 grains.

img_4913.jpg

img_4914.jpg

img_4915.jpg

Sorry about the delay in posting pics, my power went out! :/

Grimord said:
A .440 ball and .010 patch is a very loose fit in a 50 caliber gun.  I suggest a .490 with .o15 patch to start off with.  Also, you might try some 3f if you have it.  I have had better results with 3f in 50 cal guns using loads of less than 65 grains.
You'd think so wouldn't you? 

But that bugger was as tight as a misers charity......

****EDIT I just realised I wrote .440 not .490, Sorry but I've been using a .45 rifle for years and had a blonde moment!***

Flintlocks are finicky. I had to "play" with my .45 for quite awhile to come up with a regimen that assured that it would fire each time.

I have to swab with a damp patch after each shot. I also have to leave the touch hole pick in place when adding powder and a patched ball. If I don't, the powder packs too tightly and misfires occur.

Thats good shooting for a new rifle and learning off it!

go to 70 grains. wipe between round. use a .495 round ball. buy some medium weight tight weave pure linen off of the internet. tap ball into the bore with a starter and small rubber hammer. cut off the patch at the muzzle. just set the ball on the powder, never ever tamp it onto the powder. then you will shoot the tightest groups possible with that very very fine gun of yours. lube is your choise, makes no difference.

I love breaking in a new gun. I am glad you finally got through the red tape.:cheers:

Just out of curiosity? Was there any embarrassment from the official you took possession from for all the 
fuss over a 17th century style weapon?

I predict that you're going to have loads of fun with that rifle. Looks good.

Kentucky Colonel said:
I love breaking in a new gun. I am glad you finally got through the red tape.:cheers:

Just out of curiosity? Was there any embarrassment from the official you took possession from for all the 
fuss over a 17th century style weapon?
It was one hell of a mission....

Honestly they are without any sense of embarrassment or shame. I was on the phone to them every couple of weeks enquiring about the process of my application and was basically told each time to pull my head in and accept it. I also discovered that there is no complaints procedure at all! Can you imagine any other service dept anywhere taking that long to perform a service and having zero repercussions???

But to answer the question, my rifle was held at the dealer so I didn’t even get the chance to remonstrate with an official....

patocazador said:
Flintlocks are finicky. I had to "play" with my .45 for quite awhile to come up with a regimen that assured that it would fire each time.

I have to swab with a damp patch after each shot. I also have to leave the touch hole pick in place when adding powder and a patched ball. If I don't, the powder packs too tightly and misfires occur.
I was swabbing between shots as well as is my habit.

Leaving the touch hole pick in place is an interesting idea though, I’ll have to try it.

FrontierGander said:
Thats good shooting for a new rifle and learning off it!
Mate, if you could have seen me flinching away from the rifle every time I pulled the trigger you’d have wept with laughter!

It took conscious effort to stay on target, it’s frankly a minor miracle I’m on paper at all!

strong eagle said:
go to 70 grains. wipe between round. use a .495 round ball. buy some medium weight tight weave pure linen off of the internet. tap ball into the bore with a starter and small rubber hammer. cut off the patch at the muzzle. just set the ball on the powder, never ever tamp it onto the powder. then you will shoot the tightest groups possible with that very very fine gun of yours. lube is your choise, makes no difference.
I’ll give it a go mate!

RhinoDave said:
I predict that you're going to haves loads of fun with that rifle. Looks good.
I suspect that you’re entirely correct my old china!

its that way here also, the wheels of the government move very slow. it took 12 years for the FBI to do investegation (sp) of a drug ring just 25 miles from me on the rez. finally got all of them in one giant swoop. around 12  to 15 people went to prison for life. some were already pretty old. again it took 12 years to get them. at least you didnt have to bribe anyone as some countries have a system of. your going to have fun with that gun. keep it clean and it will last a long time. heard there is a very large U.S. marine corp base being built over their. is that true? that would be good duty.

strong eagle said:
its that way here also, the wheels of the government move very slow. it took 12 years for the FBI to do investegation (sp) of a drug ring just 25 miles from me on the rez. finally got all of them in one giant swoop. around 12  to 15 people went to prison for life. some were already pretty old. again it took 12 years to get them. at least you didnt have to bribe anyone as some countries have a system of. your going to have fun with that gun. keep it clean and it will last a long time. heard there is a very large U.S. marine corp base being built over their. is that true? that would be good duty.
Yeah apparently the marines have now got a small base in Darwin, they were on the news after they were invited and took part in the ANZAC celibrations.

The marine commander looked a little taken aback at the positivity he and his diggers got from the locals! :)

True the wheels turn slowly but dammit i'm not a crook, i'm more law abiding the most of the idiots out there....

*sigh* Sorry gents but the system shits me to tears, it really does.

The Alamo is a nice looking rifle. What powder were you using in the pan?

BigAl52 said:
The Alamo is a nice looking rifle. What powder were you using in the pan?
I was using the 2F to prime but I’ve got a bit of 4F I’m going to try today.

img_5010.jpg

Two groups of three at 25 yards using .010 patching and 50 grains of 2F and primed with 4F with first shot going low and right so i discounted it.

img_5011.jpg

A second group using .015 patching and 50 grains of 2F and primed with 4F at 25 yards, the loose shot to the right was because I twitched...

img_5012.jpg

A 50 yard group using .015 patching and 50 grains of 2F and primed with 4F. I'm not sure if the loose group was me or something else!

img_5013.jpg

img_5014.jpg

A couple of patches I recovered, they look pretty good to me! :)

Back