My wife refused to harvest this buck....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like I stated before in here somewhere my wife refuses to shoot a whitetail buck less than a big 10 point eastern count. She has turned down several with some being small 10 point bucks. She has always had first chance on game and I get a chance at what she turns down.
I am starting to get around very good since knee surgery 34 days ago and thought it was time to load the 58ca 1841. Good thing. While doing exercises in bed I saw a buck crossing the field behind our house. I got dressed quick and made a 1/2 mile loop to get around him as he followed does into the creek bottom jungle. For 2 1/2 hours we played cat and mouse back and forth along the creek. I finally got in a spot where a trail crosses the creek as I heard them coming. Three does......I waited......then here comes the buck and he stops in the middle of the creek. I had cocked the rifle by holding my gloved left hand over the hammer and pulling the trigger back to full cock (to eliminate any "click sound") and slowly raised the long barreled 1841, put front sight on neck and slowly squeeze the trigger. KaBoom, big splash, and when the 70 grains of 2F powder smoke cleared he was dead in the creek, it was a 42 yard shot. I called my ranch renter neighbor and over he comes with hip boots. My wife comes to the rescue with her ATV, trailer and rope, deer pulled out and loaded on trailer. Then she reminds me that I have a doctors appointment in a half hour, yikes. She drops me off at house and continues on to where we gut animals with our friend saying he would take care of that for me. My boots are muddy and bloody and so are pants and shirt, can't go in house. Grab clean pair of old mechanic pants and shirt with holes and head to jeep with clown shoes on, away I go. The doc thought it was great, I made it with a minute to spare and lots of stares! Doc said I am good to go, no more therapy needed as I can bend knee to 125 and also lock it, not bad for 34 days post surgery.
When I got home and pulled up to barn I see my wife has the buck hanging, skinned and starting to wrap sheets around it. I did get to help some, I climbed the ladder and tied sheets off at the top and bottom, then raised buck another two feet. I sure did a lot of WORK today. :D Not enough can be said about having wonderful and willing neighbors! My wife baked him a pie last evening, his favorite, with apples that came from one of his trees.

My wife is one in a million and I was so lucky to find her!

Attn: Jonathan.......I am emailing you a picture to please post here.

John

WHAT! !!

01410.jpg

02710.jpg

John, that story was awesome! And, so much better because I know the health issues you have overcome to get back into it. That is a satisfying read. Congratulations

My BIG CONGRATS to you Pops!

Been nothing but hot down here.....I'm running around in a T shirt today! I think we had our 5 days of winter about a month back!

I can smell the frying backstrap from here!! :cheers: :Salute:

I forgot to mention I used Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube, great stuff!

A big thank you to all that responded.

Yes Colonel, it has been a rough road these last four years but I am feeling much better now. Have lots of ranch work to do this next year. I hope to spend some time observing game from our tree stand over bear bait in May/June, I sure have missed that.

John

John, that rack looks like the points are close to each other (even in size). Usually there's always one a little longer than its matching mate. Today that's what the horn buyers are looking for, Cabelas has "Horn Buyer Weekend" events after all the deer and elk hunting seasons. I sold a few mule deer and elk racks that had been around here for a few years, couldn't believe what we got for them (another new rifle paid for).

For her it was a "Big buck or nothing" and either way she would be happy. The ones she passed up will be bigger next year, at least we will have Christmas jerky from one she passed up.

John

Latest posts

Back