Need Help Ordering the Correct Sight Components

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHardWay

Reaction score
I am wanting to switch from the factory fiber optic sights on my Knight Ultra-Lite to a Lyman globe style front sight and a some sort of peep sight for the rear. I know I will need a dove tail front ramp for the globe, but I have no idea which one is the right one as far as height and diameter. I'm also not sure what height globe I'd need. As far as the peep goes, the Williams WGRS seems like a popular one, but I don't see one that is specific to the Ultra Lite or Mountaineer. Just the Knight MK-85 and Disc???? I'm thinking I want to keep the sight system as low as possible just like you would with a scope. Can anyone offer any help? Part numbers?

Here are the globes
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... d7959.aspx
Dovetail ramps
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... d8809.aspx

I would get in touch with Knight and ask them what the correct set would be

Yeah, I ran across that article in my searching for sights, and that is the set up I want to go with. Unfortunately, the P/Ns in that article are for. T/C FX rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Williams to make sure these fit. I know the spacing is correct. http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm
TOLL FREE: (800) 530 - 9028

Fool Proof with Target knobs $86.95 Non target knob models are $74.95
54251 FP-LEGEND-TK For Modern Muzzleloading Knight Legend, Wolverine, Disc, Bighorn, American, and T-Bolt. Fits factory drilling and tapping. (With Target Knobs)

54253 FP-LEGEND-TK Silver For Modern Muzzleloading Knight Legend, Wolverine, Disc, Bighorn, American, and T-Bolt. Fits factory drilling and tapping. Silver. (With Target Knobs)

Looks like this without target knobs
881130.jpg

WGRS . I know these fit no problem
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm
63303 WGRS-DISC/T-BOLT For Knight Disc and T-Bolt $39.95
l_962100037_1.jpg

All of these peep sites attach to the rear scope base holes. The spacing is the same on all Knight DISC based round top receivers. Knights base spacing is also the same as a Remington 541

Be careful with the Knight Disc. I can't use the rear hole set for my Weaver base and peep as the bolt throw hits the peep aperture. I have to use the front holes which is more of a PITA.

Hi guys, first post here (Google searching brought me). Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just acquired my first Muzzleloader and have been poring over various articles and whatnot to get familiarized. One of my trickiest questions is which sights will work on my new (to me) Disc Elite, and I'm trying to decide between the WGRS or FP style sights (with my preference being the latter).

TheHardWay - did you ever complete this project, and if so, what was your result?

One of the unanswered questions I have is whether the FP sight listed by TheHardWay (the Wiliams 54253 FP-LEGEND-TK) will fit the factory scope mount holes on the top of the receiver, and if so, whether it can be mounted in the rear-most holes without interfering with the bolt.

Also, does it clear the stock, or does one need to do a bit of dremeling of the stock to create some clearance for the elevation adjuster?

BTW, yes, I know I'm on a bit of a fools errand with mounting sights to the Elite, but I got a screaming deal on the rifle, and in order to hunt with it here in CA, I have to use open sights and ditch the scope...

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Brent

A while ago an FP sight was mounted on my Extreme. Here is a link to thread

What i did to get the sight to work was mount it in the forward two of the rear three holes on the Knight. The thread shows how i had to grind some material off the bolt, so it would clear the sight. Some material was also ground off the bottom end of the slider part of the sight. Me, i cannot tell you what model i ordered from Williams, but i can say the sight is stamped LK.

It is my understanding there are at least two other peep sights available that could be used on the Extreme. They fasten to the rear Weaver scope base i believe.

Thanks Ron. I've seen the weaver base mounted peep sights, but when I put my cheek on the stock for the most "natural" feeling sight angle, I feel like the sight needs to be down as low as possible to the barrel. For example, I find sighting through the scope (mounted to the weaver bases) feels very unnatural for me (too high up off the action). Thus my desire to mount something directly to the receiver if at all possible.

I put a Williams FP on my Mountaineer and a Lee Shaver front sight (globe with inserts). The Shaver front sight raised the front aiming point a fraction and as a result the Williams rear peep was maxed out on height to register a 50 yard sight-in. I hunted with it this way but after the season I was back to the project bench to figure out some kind of shim to raise the base of the Williams sight so that I would have a usable range of elevation. I ended up using a Weaver base mount as a shim and mounting the Williams atop to achieve the needed height to realize the full elevation range.
I too had to do a little inletting of stock as well as modify the bolt like mentioned but in hindsight, those steps may have been omitted as the height of the rear sight is about .3 inch higher with the Weaver base mount as a shim.
Also, the base of the Williams FP is shaped to fit the contour of your receiver; which is to say that it not flat as the top surface of the weaver base mount is. This makes mating the two require a filler of sorts. I had a local gunsmith tackle this project and I believe he used a JB Weld product to fill in the small space between the FP and base mount. The new rear sight of course required longer screws to mount to the rifle now. My gunsmith hit me for $40 to do this. I hunt Colorado, so scopes are forbidden during muzzle loader season. I am very happy with this setup now, FWIW. PM me if any of this is unclear...

The MK85 Williams FP peep has a flat base but im pretty sure the hole spacing is the same as Knights DISC based rifles. So in theory, a Warnes type steel base could be used as a shim under a Williams MK85 peep sight.

TheHardWay said:
I am wanting to switch from the factory fiber optic sights on my Knight Ultra-Lite to a Lyman globe style front sight and a some sort of peep sight for the rear. I know I will need a dove tail front ramp for the globe, but I have no idea which one is the right one as far as height and diameter. I'm also not sure what height globe I'd need. As far as the peep goes, the Williams WGRS seems like a popular one, but I don't see one that is specific to the Ultra Lite or Mountaineer. Just the Knight MK-85 and Disc???? I'm thinking I want to keep the sight system as low as possible just like you would with a scope. Can anyone offer any help? Part numbers?

Here are the globes
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... d7959.aspx
Dovetail ramps
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... d8809.aspx

I really can not help with the Globe sights on a ULite.

I can suggest to you that the FP sight will not work well on a ULite as the Kevlar stock is to thick to allow it to mount correctly. In a normal DISC gun you can use the FP that is designed for the round Knight receivers like the Wolverine/Bighorn mounted into the rear scope mount using the front two of the three holes. You may need to make a slight modification to the bottom leading edge of the windage arm to allow the bolt to lift.

FP Modification that might be necessary to fit DISC rifle.

I am using a NECG Weaver style peep on my Ultra Lite mounted on a Warne Maxima Weaver scope base

For the front sight I use a Williams Streamlined Ramp and a Williams Fiber Optic front sight. I include on this assembly a Fire Sight Hood which in combination with the peep and fire sight give the illusion of a looking through a 1x scope.

Hope some of this might help

Thank you sabotloader. How is that front sight ramp mounted? (Screwed in?). Does the Ulite use the same barrel as the Elite? (Tapered and 0.800" at muzzle with a ~0.006" taper each 1")

Also, another option I'm considering would be a "See-All" sight, which would require a Pic rail, but I'm assuming that would be relatively easy to find or modify to fit the scope base mounts already drilled into the receiver. (Maybe I'll start another thread for that)

SBH2OMan said:
Thank you sabotloader. How is that front sight ramp mounted? (Screwed in?). Does the Ulite use the same barrel as the Elite? (Tapered and 0.800" at muzzle with a ~0.006" taper each 1")

Also, another option I'm considering would be a "See-All" sight, which would require a Pic rail, but I'm assuming that would be relatively easy to find or modify to fit the scope base mounts already drilled into the receiver. (Maybe I'll start another thread for that)

The front sight on a Ulite is screwed with two screws - the picture I posted is actually a White - just want you to get the ideal of the front sight.

This is a pic of the front sight on a MK... one screw is under the front sight in the dove tail the other screw is shown in the rear of the ramp.'

Not sure which States you might be hunting - just remember the See All is not legal in some during ML season.

Thanks again. According to See-All they are legal in Western states, and I reviewed the section of the California DFG code andfound the following language, which I would interpret as being "OK" to use the See-All:

"Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons."

Since the See-All does not use any "artificial light, batteries, or electronic gear" and is actually an "open" sight that is using naturally gathered light and fluorescent paint, it seems like it would be OK.

This may already be common knowledge, but I called Knight and discovered that all Knight DISC rifles as well as the Bighorn and Mountaineer use the same mounting pattern on the receiver, which is based on the Remington 541.

This means that any sight or scope base compatible with a Remington 541 should work. I found this Picatinney rail:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/evolution-g ... mount.html ($40)

For $140 for the rail and sight, I may just give this See-All a try before I start messing around with trying to solder a front sight to my Disc Elite. If I don't like it, I can probably use the See-All on one of my shotguns, cartridge rifles, or pistols :)

SL,

Is the fire sight centered in the hood? From the pics it doesn't look quite centered. How is it in low light vs non hooded sight?

Browndogz said:
SL,

Is the fire sight centered in the hood? From the pics it doesn't look quite centered. How is it in low light vs non hooded sight?

No it is not exactly centered in the hood... it really depends on the height of the insert that you use. The .343 is close. Low light is fine during low light you just remove the peep aperture and use the sight as a ghost ring. Remember with a peep you are not trying to center the post in the peep - your eye will do that automatically if you let it. You concentrate on putting the front aperture on the where you want to shoot.

Wait do you mean low light and the front sight... I really can not tell any difference having the hood on or off in how the sight lights up... the hoods sole purpose in real life is to protect the fiber rod in the sight. For me it is just and added benefit of helping get on the target and appearing as if I might be looking through a scope.

Yes the front sight, I am waffling between this solution and a globe. I know the globe will be darker and have plan to address that if I go that direction.

Are you using a 6 O'clock and there by centering above the fire sight?

For what it is worth, I ended up going with the WGRS paired with the Lyman hood and Shaver inserts. I ordered and toyed around with the low profile ramp and fire sights. I think I had ordered 3 or 4 heights of fire sights for the front, but none of them were right for me. I was running out of time as my ML elk season neared and it wasn't possible for me to wait for new sights to be shipped to me, so I settled on the aforementioned setup. I used the fine crosshair Shaver insert. Pro: Under normal lighting, it is great. I feel very accurate with it. Con: Under low light conditions, it becomes difficult to see the crosshair since it is so fine and the hood does not have openings in it to allow extra light.

Depending on whether or not I draw a ML tag this year dictates if I will try a different setup, perhaps with the fire sights, or not. Either way, I am sure that with my busy schedule, I'd be doing it at the last minute again!

Latest posts

Back