Need recommendations on Electric Powder dispenser that is safe for Blackhorn 209.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solocam

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have an RCBS 1500 combo electric powder dispenser and was told by RCBS that it is not safe for Black powder because of static electricity.
Does Blackhorn 209 come under that or is it safe to use the RCBS 1500 combo?
What is a safe electric powder measure for Blackhorn 209?

Please Advise
R/Michael

I have an old Lyman 1200 Electronic Dispenser. What I do is calibrate the dispenser on powering it up. Then I use my TC Volumn measure to get as close to the charge I'm looking for. Then I pour it into the pan and with a manual trickler, trickle the powder until I get the desired weight.

Isn't Blackhorn more of a smokeless powder tricked down to qualify as a blackpowder substitute? I would think that would tilt the conversation back against static, and blackpowder.

I've used both an rcbs and Lyman to dispense bh209.i wouldn't use it for black powder though.

Isn't Blackhorn more of a smokeless powder tricked down to qualify as a blackpowder substitute? I would think that would tilt the conversation back against static, and blackpowder.

It is mainly nitrocellulose with some corrosive oxiders added to it to help regulate its burn rate. (Guanidine Nitrate)

It does not clean up with water-based solvents due to this fact.

Therefore, it is actually a hybrid powder.

Most all of the black powder cartridge guys use the electric powder drops and scales. I do. Black or 209.

Latest posts

Back