Blackhorn 209 by weight is not measuring up to volume line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with that….
Yup............. Hodgdon has taken over every page that Western used, including all the old archived pages here and on the Hunting Net, where it WAS Western.
The old fact sheets from Western specifically stated that BH could be used by weight and the conversion number was published.

I have considerable correspondence from Western about BH in saved emails from back in the day. Would it surprise you or anyone else, that with either the RUM or UF rifles, you can not over charge them with BH???

But again............. I disagree with the CS rep (desk jockey) that either phoned or emailed you that answer.

I don't know what a star trek replicator is, but after reading the replies on this thread, reading comprehension is in short supply.

How is it possible to maintain the same velocity, energy and trajectory without increasing weight substantially? Asking for a friend.

If you go into any Chemistry lab in the world and ask the same question, you will get the same answer from every lab.

The mass (weight) of the propellant determines the pressure produced by the burning propellant, because the mass is the best measure of the chemicals that go "bang". That mass produces a given amount of hot gas inside the barrel.

Because BH209 is 83% smokeless powder (nitrocellulose), it is more sensitive to pressure increases than Black Powder.

My .02¢, adjusted for inflation… bh209 is not consistent by volume or weight, and is ridiculously over priced when compared to almost every other powder(substitute and smokeless) available. i am going to discontinue use of it in all of my guns. They (Western/Hodgdon/whoever) have had more than enough time to get the formula perfected and the price reasonable. What other product would we accept thats as inconsistent as this, and it still in high demand? There are plenty of powders that arent “approved by ML manufacturers that i feel comfortable and safe using in my guns. I have been transitioning away from BH209 for a couple years and don't feel like im missing out. I will sell of a couple guns that cant handle what i shoot. But these constant disagreements over bh209 are as bad as ‘whats the best gun’ or ‘bullet’ or ‘load for deer?’ Im just bewildered by how many very smart people continue to use a product as troublesome as this. Just seems there are a lot of better options available. Sorry for the rant.

I couldn't agree more Michigan muzzy, of mine is what little I got left just going to sit on the Shelf.

Has anyone done the experiment that would prove this one way or the other?

Pretty simple really:

Get 3 lots of BH 209 that differ noticeably in volume to weight per lot.

Fire 3 shots from each bottle at 100 grV and compare the velocities. If they are essentially the same, you can stop there. Volume rules.

If the velocities are different, then you take 70 gr by weight of each powder and shoot 3 times with each. If weight rules, these velocities should be essentially equal.

I will be on the volume rules side of this until that is proven wrong.

Back when covid hit and the word was things were going to get tight I bought several 10 ounce jugs of BH209. All of the same lot number. By several, I mean many. My 63 weighed grains work well in two of my guns, and 77 weighed grain in another. Factually, I will only use one of these three to hunt, the Optima pistol and that's one of the 63 weighed grain guns. The others are sidelined because my hunting rifle is smokeless. I still sub T7 3f at the range for the BH. I weigh the T7 too. Could I get by with volume? Yes. Easily. I weigh because it's no inconvenience for me and its where my confidence lies. I don't give a **** what others chose to do to get their powder charges as I don't shoot their powder charges and nobody here should give a **** how others do things as long as its done safely.

There is no right or wrong way to measure BH. Both ways work. In some instances volume is just fine. In others, well, weighing may be best. It's a personal decision as to which fits one's own needs. Damn, get over yourselves.

I wasn’t referring to how to measure powder and shoot. Pretty much a fact that weight will always be more accurate.

I am referring to whether or not 70 gr by weight is always equal in power/velocity to 70 gr by weight from any lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back